Senior Analyst, Multi Unit Underwriting
Sector: Client Operations
Language Designation: English Essential
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ
Salary Range: $63418.82 to $79273.53
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
Bring your analytical skills and your real estate expertise to this permanent position in the Prairies (preference for Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, though would consider other markets across Canada)
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. As a member of the Multi-Unit Underwriting team, you will identify, understand and assess the risks associated with each multi-unit (for properties with 7+ units) mortgage loan insurance application and provide a recommendation for decision. We are seeking individual who have knowledge in real estate or banking and training in administration, finance or a related discipline and who are also recognized for his/her excellent analytical and risk management abilities as well as his/her propensity to maintain solid business relationships. You will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- Bachelor’s degree in administration, finance, real estate and two years of experience relating directly to underwriting and mortgage financing risk analysis. An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience will also be considered.
- Certified in Real Estate Finance (CRF), Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), or Certified Property Manager (CPM) would be an asset.
- Knowledge of appraisal, building technology, environment, market analysis, financial statement analysis, real estate law, property management and industry trends to be able to assess the degree of risk and make sound underwriting decisions.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Ability to multi-task in pressure situations.
- Ability to work effectively on a team and independently.
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated.
- Proficiency working in a computer-aided environment, using software such as Microsoft applications (including Word and Excel).
What you will be doing
- Completing a financial analysis of the borrower, assessing market conditions, analyzing the financial and operational performance of the property, and determining adequate security.
- Identifying and negotiating acceptable mitigating actions when weaknesses are identified or normal security is not being offered, while maintaining the risk at an acceptable level for CMHC.
- Preparing an underwriting report providing a review of the findings, the recommendations and the mitigating actions.
- Discussing, negotiating and defending underwriting decisions with each lender client, while making sure to maintain a high level of confidence in CMHC.
- Responding to various mortgage insurance or general inquiries.
- Performing post-approval activities, including responding to lender requests in a timely manner.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date: July 25, 2019 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled)
Job Requisition ID: 3702
Primary Location: Calgary, Alberta
Security Requirement: Reliability Status
Travel Requirement: Limited
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
*If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.