CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) is the heart of a world leading housing system that is making a difference for Canadians every day by helping them meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC works with a variety of stakeholders to help ensure that the Canadian housing system remains one of the best in the world. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
The intent of this advertisement is to identify and assess qualified candidates to staff both current and future permanent and contract positions.
Bring your policy and research skills to this Policy Analyst position in Ottawa.
As a member of the Housing Finance Policy team, you will be contributing to the development of policy through research and analysis related to housing finance, (e.g. mortgage insurance, securitization, covered bonds, and mortgage lending and funding at large).
This full-time permanent position is an exceptional opportunity for an analytical professional with strong policy analysis and writing skills to achieve your professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
How you will contribute
- Support the development of policy related to housing finance, including contribution to position papers, presentations, briefings, and correspondence for senior management and the Minister, based on soft knowledge from consultations and experience, and hard knowledge obtained from data and research
- Prepare reports that include quantitative and qualitative information on housing finance trends that aim to inform senior management, key decision makers and stakeholders.
- Conduct research and analysis on CMHC mortgage insurance and securitization business lines, to inform and support proposals, recommendations, and advice.
- Keeps abreast of current/emerging trends and developments in the housing market as it relates to housing finance and housing finance policy.
What we are looking for
- University degree (Masters or higher degree preferred) in finance, economics, business law, or public policy, with a minimum one (1) year of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of housing finance topics such as mortgage lending, mortgage insurance and guarantee, mortgage securitization, covered bonds, and other forms of mortgage funding.
- Knowledge of mortgage, housing finance and capital markets, as well as the banking and financial industries
- Strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to write and speak clearly and succinctly to communicate technical and non-technical contents to a variety of audiences
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to conduct analysis, synthesize information, develop models, and solve problems using appropriate qualitative and quantitative techniques
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Tact and discretion in dealing with highly sensitive issues and external stakeholders
- Having or working towards a CFA or FRM designation or having a related professional designation would be considered an asset.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Communication (Presenting and Influencing)/ Forward/Strategic Thinking/ Political and Cultural Sensitivity/ Focus on Results/ Maximizing Quality/ Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on October 25th, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Secret Clearance
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.