Media Relations Officer
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your communications skills and media relations expertise to this Media Relations Officer position in Vancouver.
As a member of the Media Relations team, you will be responsible for promoting and implementing components of the corporate media relations and issues management plan nationally, contributing to strategic communications and issues management goals, and developing, maintaining, and nurturing mutually beneficial relationships between CMHC and the media.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Respond to media inquiries in a timely manner and coordinating media interviews.
- Act as an official CMHC spokesperson.
- Developing and implementing communications strategies and media relations and issues management strategies.
- Organizing and coordinating media during high profile events.
- Providing advice and media guidance to CMHC business lines in order to ensure consistency of messages with national, provincial and local media and consistency in media approaches.
- Proactively identify and analyze issues, events, trends and items appearing in the local and national media.
- Develop media lines, issue management advisories and questions and answers for use by CMHC spokespersons when responding to media inquiries.
- Research, write and manage the targeted distribution of press releases, backgrounders and other information, as required.
- Build and maintain a database of media organizations and journalists.
- Engage in developing relationships and an effective network with media representatives for media outreach in coverage of corporate and ministerial announcements.
- Maintain ongoing contact with media relations colleagues in other government departments as well as with CMHC business lines and other Public Affairs colleagues.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- Bachelor`s Degree or College Diploma in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of four (4) years related experience in journalism, media relations and/or communications.
- Demonstrated experience planning, developing and implementing communications, media relations and issues management strategies.
- Demonstrated experience producing news releases and media lines.
- Demonstrated experience providing advice, guidance and recommendations to Senior Management.
- Knowledge of social, political and economic trends and issues that could affect CMHC;
- Knowledge of the media environment, including social media
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of media research, analysis tools and techniques;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak and write clearly, succinctly and persuasively with/for a variety of audiences;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; including the ability to multi-task and manage numerous projects concurrently.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Commitment to Official Languages/ Communication (Presenting and Influencing)/ Decisiveness/ Flexibility/ Maximizing Quality/ Relationship Building/ Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on August 14, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Secret Clearance
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.