Investment Officer, Equities and Alternative Investments
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your investment knowledge and your in-depth analytical skills to this Investment Officer position in Ottawa.
This permanent full-time position is an exceptional opportunity to become a member of the Equities and Alternative Investments team (within the Investments and Pension Fund Division), where you will work in a dynamic, challenging and collaborative environment.
You will be responsible for providing support to the Equities and Alternative Investments team in the management of a wide range of equities and alternative investments. You will recommend and help execute investment strategies that are aimed to outperform market benchmarks and indices.
You will be providing support and assistance critical to achieving investment objectives in accordance with established policies with due regard to regulatory constraints, and within the strategies and guidelines approved by the Investment Committees, the Pension Fund Trustees, and other governing bodies.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Conducting in-depth analysis on current market conditions, historical trends and investment opportunities
- Researching and participating with the selection of investment vehicles and specific opportunities for investments that maximize returns within constraints established by investment objectives, policies, and guidelines by working with senior investment officers and investment managers in the financial analysis of current and prospective investment holdings
- Liaising with external investment managers, asset managers, property managers and brokerage community to stay informed of available products and opportunities, and providing insights in the regional market conditions for various real estate and infrastructure categories
- Conducting special financial analysis, investment analysis and sensitivity analysis
- Providing recommendations on financial and tactical investment strategies within the equities and alternative investments portfolios, as appropriate, and providing insights on how the equities, real estate and infrastructure investments are positioned, the risk and rewards of different investment strategies, and how performance might evolve under different market circumstances
- Drafting reports and presentations on portfolio activities, expectations, investment status, business planning, and other topics, for senior management, Investment Committees, Pension Fund Trustees, and other governing bodies as required.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- University Degree in business administration, economics, finance, or a related field of study.
- Enrollment in or completion of a CFA or a combination of a MBA, CPA or other relevant education complemented with institutional investment and / or investment banking experience would be an asset.
- Successful 3-year track record in positions of increasing responsibility in equities, real estate and infrastructure investments or management and developing strategies and policies.
- Knowledge of investment principles and portfolio management theory; Demonstrated knowledge of investment objectives, policies, and strategies for institutional investment portfolios
- Awareness of the regulatory framework in an institutional investment environment
- Comprehensive awareness of the Corporation’s investment mandates
- Complete understanding of the economic environment
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills; in particular in investment/financial analyses
- Sound communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- Ability to use computer software for investment, analytical, and valuation purposes
- Ability to interpret economic trends and market relationships
- Ability to synthesize results of both quantitative and qualitative elements of an investment, and ability to consider investments in the context of an asset class and the overall portfolio
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Knowledge of Argus will be considered an asset.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Teamwork/ Communication (presenting and influencing)/ Analytical Thinking/ Efficiency/ Flexibility/ Maximizing Quality/ Relationship Building
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on February 27, 2018, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.