Econometrician (Position can be located anywhere in Canada)
Sector: Policy and Innovation
Language Designation: English Essential
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ
Salary Range: $74852.60 to $93565.75
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. You will provide technical input into the analysis and modelling of economic, housing and mortgage market activity at the national, provincial and local levels in order to meet both internal and external client needs. Your experience monitoring the impact of changes and contributing to the development of recommended actions for CMHC will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
• Bachelor’s degree in economics or an equivalent combination of work experience and education.
• Minimum of three years of experience in an economics role.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of external public and private data and information services involved in the monitoring and analysis of economic activity.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate economic and housing market information both orally and in writing to senior level audiences.
• Demonstrated understanding of and experience with analysis and forecasting of the general economy, housing and mortgage markets.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in applying statistics, econometric modelling, regression analysis, seasonal adjustment, simulation and forecasting techniques, and statistical software packages.
What you will be doing
Monitoring and Application
• Guide the selection and use of appropriate analytical tools and methodologies to monitor progress, identify trends and recognize risks in the housing market to communicate resulting implications to the functional leader and/or senior management.
• Provide input into the analysis of economic and housing market activity at the national, provincial and local levels using sound econometric modelling and analytical techniques. Ensure input is relevant and tactical and can support decision-making.
• Lead and produce CMHC analyses and publications designed for internal and/or external use.
• Lead and produce briefing materials for senior management ensuring content is appropriate for non-specialist audiences, relevant and actionable.
• Lead the development and maintenance of working relationships with housing industry professionals to keep abreast of changing market trends, ongoing development, market drivers and client analytical needs in order to provide timely and relevant housing market insights.
• lncorporate industry research and intelligence gathering activities into housing market knowledge that enables timely, relevant and meaningful insights.
Analysis and Modelling
• Lead the development of models and use statistical and mathematical analyses to test economic relationships. Ensure accurate input into new and existing CMHC econometric model suites.
• Provide input into the development of new micro and macroeconomic models pertaining to the Canadian housing market.
• Prepare and deliver presentations based on analyses of economic and housing market activity to senior level internal and external stakeholder audiences in order to support decision making.
• Act as spokesperson with more complex media requirements at a higher coverage level. Act as lead spokesperson for market analysis of a significant Canadian market (i.e., Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal).
Best Practice Monitoring and Application
• Identifies potential feeder groups from which qualified candidates can be sought and recruited, and proposes staffing options.
People Leadership (human relations skills)
• Understanding, influencing and/or serving people are important considerations in causing actions or acceptance by others.
• Lead, develop, and maintain working relationships with housing industry professionals to keep abreast of changing market trends, ongoing development, market drivers and client analytical needs in order to provide timely and relevant housing market insights as appropriate and as per authority granted by the supervisor.
• Develop and maintain working relationships with economists, econometricians, and other specialists in the housing industry as appropriate and as per authority granted by the supervisor.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date: August 30, 2019 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled)
Job Requisition ID: 3934
Primary Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Security Requirement: Secret
Travel Requirement: Occasional
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
*If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.