Counsel (Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto)
Language Designation: English Essential
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ, BBB
Salary Range: $74852.60 to $93565.75
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. As a member of the Legal Services team, you will provide legal services and advice to business partners on a broad range of matters in order to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Corporation. You will establish and maintain positive on-going relationships with business partners and teammates in the provision of legal services under tight deadlines and turnaround times. You will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values, and a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Member of the Bar in good standing, preferably with one (1) to four (4) years’ experience working as a lawyer in private or public sector organizations or a law firm.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated experience conducting legal research and analysis.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to interpret and analyze varied complex matters and to explain them to clients in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact and judgement in order to liaise with clients.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple files.
- Experience in any of the following areas would be an asset:
- Privacy and data governance; and
- Commercial agreements, particularly in the technology space.
What you will be doing
- Providing legal advice to business partners or other CMHC staff on a wide range of operational and strategic matters, policies and programs.
- Drafting and advising on agreements and other legal documents and arrangements to support corporate activities and strategic direction.
- Conducting legal research in support of the delivery of legal services.
- Liaising with business lines and management to identify potential legal risks and risk mitigation strategies, and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Supporting the legal knowledge management process by identifying, analyzing and reporting on material legal developments.
- Instructing and managing outside counsel on matters assigned, including litigation.
Does this sound like you?
*We have two full-time positions to fill (1 English Essential and 1 Bilingual BBB).
Posting closing date: August 16, 2019 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled).
Job Requisition ID: 3798
Primary Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Other Location(s): Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto
Security Requirement: Secret
Travel Requirement: Occasional
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
*If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
Learn more below about CMHC and how we help Canadians meet their housing needs.