Casual On-Call Workers -Maintenance
Job Requisition ID: 3101
Primary Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (CA-BC)
Language Designation: English Essential
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ
Salary Range: starting at $16.29 for Busser, $19.71 for Janitor, $21.43 for Maintenance + premiums
Position Status: Casual
Security Requirement: Reliability Status
Travel Requirement: Travel not required
Granville Island is administered by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) on behalf of the Federal Government. The mission of CMHC with respect to Granville Island, is to maintain and foster Granville Island as a unique urban oasis in the heart of Vancouver, a place where visitors of all ages and income can meet, browse, explore and experience a variety of cultural, recreational, educational, commercial retail, arts and industrial activities on a year round basis.
Improving accessibility, creating a market district, developing a more vibrant arts & innovation sector, and enhancing the public realm are the key recommended strategies of Granville Island 2040: Bridging Past & Future, released by CMHC-Granville Island. The report builds on the success of the past, while offering bold new recommendations that anticipate how Granville Island can remain a dynamic destination for future generations to visit and enjoy. For more information, and to read the full report, go to granvilleisland2040.ca
This casual on-call temporary position is an exceptional opportunity to become a member of the Granville Island team, where you work with the Janitorial and Maintenance Teams to ensure Granville Island is well maintained and kept in a high standard of cleanliness, sanitation and repair.
As Granville Island is a 7-day/ week operation, there is a requirement to be available for shift work between the hours of 8am-10pm, including evenings and weekends.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Represent CMHC and Granville Island in a professional and courteous manner
- Provide information to customers and tenants as required (i.e question on lost and found items, directions)
- Bussing tables in three Public Market seating areas
- Sweep and/or dry mop the Public Market seating areas as well as wet mop spills as needed and sweep and monitor outdoor courtyard areas throughout the day
- Organize the recycling storage area and prepare containers for pick up
- Ensure a high standard of cleanliness and sanitation in the Public Market, Net Loft and adjacent areas including cleaning all public and staff washrooms, all ground level windows, cold storage room, hallways etc.
- Assist merchants with regular forklift service
- Complete window cleaning of high areas of the market done using scissor lift and tucker pole.
Grounds and Building Maintenance
- Drive pickup truck while collecting garbage and cardboard bins and waste from various totes around Granville Island
- Operate and maintain hydraulic compacting machines to compress garbage, and recyclable materials
- Maintain cleanliness on the Island with the use of a motorized street sweeper, hand sweeping, hosing, pressuring washer, etc.
- Complete additional tasks as required (i.e minor repairs, hanging signage, project cleaning, traffic control)
What We Are Looking For
- Customer service experience
- Valid drivers' licence with at least 3 years driving experience
- Experience as a janitor in a commercial, retail or industrial setting
- Experience with the use of floor scrubber, auto scrubber, high pressure hose, pressure washer, scissor lift, wet dry vacuum, floor drain pump and other equipment.
- Basic construction trades knowledge: plumbing, electrical, carpentry
- Safety knowledge as per Workers Compensation Board regulations and the Canada Labour Code.
- Ability to respond in emergency situations - may be first on the scene (injury, lost children, theft)
- Ability to adapt to changes and to show initiative when needed
- Must be aware of the hazards of, and be able to work in a marine environment.
- Building Worker certificate is an asset
- Certified Fork Lift operator (training will be provided, as needed)
- WHMIS certificate is an asset.
This competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- Work schedules will reflect operational requirements of a 7 day a week operation and will require weekend shifts.
- Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as CMHC cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.
- Second Language Proficiency levels are defined as follows:
- A = Beginner Level
- B = Intermediate Level
- C = Advanced Level
- E = Exempt
- P = Specific Language Skills
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities