Bilingual Multi-Unit Underwriter
Language Designation: BBC
Number of positions: 3 full time positions
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) is the heart of a world leading housing system that is making a difference for Canadians every day by helping them meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC works with a variety of stakeholders to help ensure that the Canadian housing system remains one of the best in the world. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
Bring your analytical skills and your real estate expertise to these positions in Montréal or Quebec City.
As a member of the Multi-Unit Underwriting team, you will identify, understand and assess the risks associated with each multi-unit (for properties with 5 to 6 units) mortgage loan insurance application and provide a recommendation for decision. We are seeking individuals who have knowledge in real estate or banking and training in administration, finance or a related discipline and who are also recognized for their excellent analytical and risk management abilities as well as their propensity to maintain solid business relationships.
These positions are exceptional opportunities for a results driven relationship builder to achieve his/her professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Completing a financial analysis of the borrower, assessing market conditions, analyzing the financial and operational performance of the property, and determining adequate security.
- Identifying and negotiating acceptable mitigating actions when weaknesses are identified or normal security is not being offered, while maintaining the risk at an acceptable level for CMHC.
- Preparing an underwriting report providing a review of the findings, the recommendations and the mitigating actions.
- Discussing, negotiating and defending underwriting decisions with each lender client, while making sure to maintain a high level of confidence in CMHC.
- Responding to various mortgage insurance or general inquiries.
- Performing post-approval activities, including responding to lender requests in a timely manner.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- Bachelor's degree in administration, finance, real estate and two years of experience relating directly to underwriting and mortgage financing risk analysis. An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience will also be considered.
- Certified in Real Estate Finance (CRF), Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Property Manager (CPM) or member of l'Ordre des évaluateurs agréés du Québec (OEAQ) would be an asset.
- Knowledge of appraisal, building technology, environment, market analysis, financial statement analysis, real estate law, property management and industry trends to be able to assess the degree of risk and make sound underwriting decisions.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Ability to multi-task in pressure situations.
- Ability to work effectively on a team and independently.
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated.
- Proficiency working in a computer-aided environment, using software such as Microsoft applications (including Word and Excel).
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Communication/ Decisiveness/ Efficiency/ Maximizing Quality
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on September 14, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- The positions requires bilingualism in English and French, with the ability to read, and understand in your second official language at an intermediate level and to speak at an advanced level.
- Candidates who do not currently have valid language test results recognised by CMHC will be required to take a language test. http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/ca/ouhipr/ouhipr_004.cfm
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
- A valid driver's licence and access to a reliable vehicle, as this position requires some travel, including site visits.