Bilingual Default & Claims Officer
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your analytical skills and your claims expertise to these Bilingual Default & Claims Officer positions in the Insurance Servicing team in Ottawa.
This 12-month full-time temporary positions are an exceptional opportunity for an analytical thinker to become a member of the Claims Payment Centre team. You will assess, adjudicate and pay mortgage loan insurance claims for 1 to 4 unit properties within Insurance Servicing policies and guidelines. You will work directly with Approved Lenders and their contractual agents to provide advice and guidance in all areas of Insurance Servicing.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Assessing, adjudicating and paying mortgage loan insurance claims for 1 to 4 unit properties in an operational production environment within Insurance Servicing policies and guidelines;
- Validating documentation requirements for claim settlement purposes;
- Determine eligibility of claims and related claim costs within your prescribed authority limits and making recommendations to management for approval beyond your limit;
- Inputting and validating all relevant claim information contained in various systems;
- Analysing and interpreting appraisal reports, environmental assessments, engineer reports, and other technical reports to determine relevant factors and impacts on real estate and the claim;
- Making decisions on approval requests from lenders and their service providers for property repairs and other courses of action within your financial authority and escalate issues with recommendations for management decision-making;
- Providing advice and functional guidance to lenders' representatives on default management issues with recommendations regarding appropriate options to avoid potential claims;
- Conducting comprehensive underwriting/ file reviews for adherence to CMHC product requirements for portfolio insurance claims and other specific product pre-claim payment reviews.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- University degree, in a related field such as accounting, finance or real estate law and demonstrated successful track-record of two (2) years' experience in positions with increasing responsibilities in related areas OR an equivalent combination of related education and experience;
- Experience with appraisal principals, real estate operations, mortgage financing and legal actions;
- Professional REIC designation is considered an asset.
- Ability to apply sound judgment in analysing claims and related information;
- Strong analytical and communication skills as well as client service oriented;
- Ability to work in an operational production environment;
- Ability to build and manage effective working relationships with peers, internal and external contacts;
- Ability to take initiative in identifying and resolving issues;
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team to achieve common goals;
- Knowledge of various Microsoft computerized systems, MS excel
- Knowledge of environmental issues and building components are considered to be an asset.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ / Communication (Presenting and Influencing)/ Efficiency/ Focus on Results/ Maximizing Quality/ Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on December 18, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- These positions require bilingualism in English and French. One position requires the ability to read, write, understand and speak in your second official language at an advanced level. The other position requires the ability to read, write, understand and speak in your second official language at an intermediate level.
- Candidates who do not currently have valid language test results recognised by CMHC will be required to take a language test. https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/ca/upload/guide-second-laguage-proficiency-tests.pdf
- In the event that tests are administered, candidates will be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance
- Internal applicants: If applying for a temporary assignment, please ensure that your Manager approves your application prior to submission
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.