Support Assistant C (Museum Attendant)
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service within our Economic Development & Culture Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information " section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
One position will provide bookkeeping services for 3 locations: Todmorden Mills. (Mondays), Scarborough Museum (Wednesdays), and Gibson House (Fridays).
One position will provide gift shop services for Spadina Museum (Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Mondays).
- Prepares, researches, maintains and processes documents. Selects and presents data. Determines and corrects errors.
- Drafts correspondence. Inputs, updates and maintains Museum / Facility data.
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages, applying speed and skill. Prepares presentation materials, forms etc. Utilizes layout, formatting and keyboarding skills using computer as related to admissions, retail sales, and enrollment.
- Maintains Museum / Facility filing and retrieval systems for records/documents.
- Receives documents/applications, invoices/monies from the public or other levels of government and ensures accuracy and completeness. Issues/completes receipts/documentation. Receives, balances and records payments and completes receipts ensuring bookkeeping duties are complete and accurate.
- Directs and/or guides and/or checks work of other staff.
- Responds to telephone inquiries requiring broad knowledge of the Museum / Facility.
- Co-ordinates meeting rooms, bookings and special requirements for meetings, including tours, commercial functions, programs or events at the Museum / Facility. Attends meeting, takes and transcribes minutes.
- Prepares, sorts, processes, collects, opens, distributes and delivers mail, cash, bank deposits.
- Monitors, orders and maintains supplies/resource materials for unit or other locations.
- Participates in security duties for the Museum / Facility store as required.
- Considerable experience in progressively responsible retail positions.
- Considerable experience dealing with clients/customers and the general public.
- Considerable experience working with cash/point of sale and daily reconciliation procedures.
- Experience working with retail vendors/suppliers as well as researching and purchasing inventory.
- Considerable experience providing bookkeeping services.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft programs (Word and Excel).
Must also have:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of staff and the general public.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Availability to work evenings, weekend and statutory holidays.
- Knowledge of museum or cultural retail would be an asset.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.