Underwriter - Risk Management Internship
We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
Underwriter – Risk Management Internship
As an Underwriter in the department of Credit Adjudication, Lending Risk Management you’ll be accountable for reviewing, processing and approving residential mortgage/real estate secured and unsecured applications received from branches and alternate distribution channels in a timely and effective manner, resulting in the achievement of CIBC’s mortgage and lending target. To best assist our business partners across Canada, you are required to be flexible to work varying shifts including late shifts 10 a.m. - 6 pm PST.
How You’ll Succeed
- Make Effective Decisions – Negotiate, approve/ decline and make recommendations for applications within established CIBC processes, guidelines within an authorized lending limit, including residential mortgage, real estate secured and unsecured applications.
- Facilitate Risk Assessment – Review, prepare and make considered recommendations to Manager or senior underwriter where residential mortgage application is above authority limit.
- Exercise Analytical Mindset – Gather, review and assess information and complete documentation to support each credit application within CIBC risk parameters and Insurers guidelines as applicable.
- Foster Relationship building – Effectively handle correspondence and telephone inquiries from internal business partners and external business partners such as insurers, appraisers and solicitors.
- Be Agile – Manage high work volumes to meet short time lines with a high level of quality and due diligence. You will also be expected to review a variety of lending products on a daily basis.
Who You Are
- You can demonstrate knowledge/experience in dealing with mortgages, real estate secured and unsecured applications. You have excellent proficiency with computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- You put our clients first. You engage with purpose to find the right solutions. You go the extra mile, because it's the right thing to do.
- You give meaning to data. You enjoy investigating complex problems, and making sense of information. You're confident in your ability to communicate detailed information in an impactful way.
- You're digitally savvy. You seek out innovative solutions and embrace evolving technologies. You can easily adapt to new tools and trends.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
We can’t wait to meet you
- You are a 4th year, or recently graduated (2021) university student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree. Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics major preferred, but not required
- You have a strong knowledge of MS Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- You are available to work full time (37.5 hours) Mon-Fri
- Work Location: The work location for this role will be Toronto Ontario, Canada, and all successful candidates must be accessible to work within the city limits
- Duration of term: 6 month opportunity
- For this role, we are seeking candidates from communities underrepresented in our workforce to promote equity, including members of the Black community, Persons with Disabilities and Indigenous peoples. We encourage you to complete the self-identification questions in the application form
What you need to know
CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation, please contact Mailbox.email@example.com
You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
CIBC is committed to doing our part to protect our team, our clients and our communities. We want to ensure we have a safe and healthy workplace, and we want to do our part to get through this pandemic. In keeping with this commitment, and as a condition of employment, CIBC requires all successful candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date, or provide written proof of a medical exemption, or other substantiated accommodation request under applicable human rights legislation.
Toronto-81 Bay, 34th Floor
Temporary (Fixed Term)