Communications and Engagement Coordinator
CHRISTIE REFUGEE WELCOME CENTRE is a Christian organization serving and advocating for refugee families by providing safe, temporary housing, initial settlement services, and follow-up support. We influence and engage the broader public through sponsorship, education and advocacy initiatives.
We are a City of Toronto shelter. With support from the City, Province of Ontario, community groups, churches, and individuals, we provide emergency shelter for refugee claimant families. We provide basic orientation to life in Canada, assist with the process of making a refugee claim, make medical and legal referrals, and provide a community of support. We continue to support families after they have moved out of the shelter into housing.
CRWC has an immediate term opportunity for an enthusiastic Communications & Engagement Coordinator to cover an 18-month maternity/parental leave. The successful candidate will demonstrate a high degree of initiative, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability to varying work requirements, and possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Key to the role will be the ability to foster warm relationships, in-person and through various communications platforms. The Communications & Engagement Coordinator must be comfortable and competent relating to and operating within the church sector. This is a 30-hour per week position requiring occasional after hours or weekend work.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
- Update and maintain donor relationship management data and records, coordinate reports/queries;
- Produce and coordinate donor mailings; analyze donor giving patterns to increase donor retention;
- Coordinate logistics for fundraising events; maintain awareness of donor trends and strategies to acquire and steward donors;
- Foster current relationships with church and community groups and promote deeper levels of engagement; cultivate new church/group relationships as they emerge;
- Facilitate tours of CRWC; work collaboratively across the organization on engagement, education and advocacy campaigns (e.g., World Refugee Day, Ride for Refuge, Presentations, basic needs drives at Christmas and other times throughout the year);
- Track, manage and follow up on external volunteer inquiries. Filter and respond to online volunteer applications, coordinate reference and police checks.
- Sustain and develop CRWC’s social media presence to support the organization’s campaigns and fundraising activities. Post regular updates to CRWC social media outlets, including news articles, blog posts, press releases, fundraising appeals, and other promotional materials
- Create, curate and manage all published content (images, video, written); oversee and create new graphic design content as needed.
- Oversee content planning, writing, photography, and execution of the e-newsletter and other e-communication in partnership with the Executive Director;
- Make presentations about CRWC to various church and community groups.
The successful candidate should ideally possess work experience or education in communications, marketing, or media. Experience in a not-for-profit organization with donor relations’ is preferred. Additional assets will include experience working in a cross-cultural environment and familiarity working with websites, social media platforms, and computer / digital programs related to communications (Mac experience preferred). In accordance with CRWC’s Child Protection Policy, a satisfactory Police Reference Check is required as a condition of employment and CPR/First Aid training is required within the first six months of employment.
CRWC offers a collegial work environment and is centrally located at Bloor and Christie Streets in Toronto.
Interested candidates are invited to forward a resume with an accompanying cover letter to:
No phone calls please. We appreciate all applications however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date for applications: Monday November 19, 2018; preferred start is early December.