Youth Worker - BL - LOFT Community Services
LOFT Community Services is committed to reflecting and responding to the diversity of the service users and communities we serve. Applications are encouraged which indicate diversity in culture, race, sexual orientation, gender identity and experience that reflects the clients we serve.
YOUTH WORKER - BL
1 Full Time Permanent Position
The Youth Worker is responsible for providing assistance and support to young men in crisis who reside at a LOFT Community Services Program. Rotating shifts, which include some weekends and evenings are an expectation of the position.
- Maintaining a safe environment within the residence;
- Assisting residents in daily living situations to enhance the learning/achieving of their goal plans;
- Providing counselling or referral to health care, therapy or psychiatric services, programs or service providers;
- Assisting residents to keep focused on their care or goal priorities while in the program;
- Attending meetings within the community (agencies, schools) with the resident or on their behalf;
- Conducting group meetings and group activities and to facilitate peer support and feedback;
- Monitoring meal planning and promoting healthy eating habits;
- Keeping aware of all the current activities within the residence;
- Liasing with other community service providers, attending committees, meetings and representing the agency within the community;
- Supervising the activities of volunteers and students, orienting new residents to the program;
- Preparing or recording reports, information and other required documentation;
- Implementing the emergency protocols and procedures as required.
- Completion of a Social Services diploma/degree at the university or community college level or equivalent;
- Residential experience would be an asset
- Understanding of the therapeutic relationship, the solution focused, and psychosocial rehabilitation principles;
- Training and experience in life skills, individual and group counselling;
- Ability to work effectively in a client centred model, facilitating peer interactions and resident empowerment;
- Good crisis intervention and problem solving skills;
- Knowledge of issues pertaining to client group: family breakdown, homelessness, depression, substance abuse, physical violence or abuse and serious emotional conflict;
- Knowledge of community support agencies, health care or other service providers;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Possession of a valid Ontario driver’s licence is an asset;
- Rotating shifts, including weekends and evenings and some on-call responsibilities are an expectation of the position.
TO APPLY: Send resume with covering letter to Human Resources, Email: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: September 14, 2019
PLEASE INCLUDE: “Youth Worker – BL” in the subject line of any emails.