Youth Engagement Coordinator - Frayme
The Youth Engagement Coordinator will work in collaboration with other members of Frayme’s multidisciplinary team to ensure that the expertise of youth with lived and living experiences are embedded within activities and outputs produced by Frayme and in external partnerships. This individual will support the state of engagement for Frayme by utilizing best practices to develop and maintain meaningful relationships with national and international young people, supporting them in engagement activities and building their overall capacity. This individual will be expected to utilize their lived expertise of mental illness/substance and service use experiences to support the strategic design and implementation of project work. The Youth Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for collaborating with a range of diverse external stakeholders, including youth, family, Indigenous partners, scientists, researchers, clinicians, policy makers and service providers, to provide engagement support, as needed. During this work, the Youth Engagement Coordinator will ensure that Frayme’s mandate and principles are clearly and consistently articulated. This role will work closely with a larger engagement team and is responsible for coordinating and reporting on all activities related to youth engagement.
- Embed best practice engagement approaches
- Act as an ambassador of Frayme to the broader national and international youth engagement community by being a role model, leading by example, being approachable and supporting an equitable work culture
- Provide ongoing analysis of national and international youth engagement perspectives, best and promising practices, emerging research and policy positions specific to youth engagement and youth mental health
- Support plans and strategies to enhance engagement efforts of the organization and expand stakeholder involvement
- Aid in the production of Knowledge Mobilization products from the youth lived experience lens
- Identify issues and concerns and actively participate in problem-solving
- Demonstrate an ability to speak from the perspective of lived experience in a constructive way that builds towards system improvement.
- To provide a perspective of youth lived experience during the collaboration with the core team to identify and support outputs, forums, Communities of Interest and crowd-sourcing discussions in topics of need and interest
- Support a workplace that embraces diversity, encourages teamwork and complies with all applicable and regulatory requirements
Engagement with Youth
- Develop and maintain relationships with diverse youth across the Frayme Network and the mental health and substance use system.
- Consistently evaluate engagement practices and integrate feedback in order to advance engagement practices at Frayme
- Alter engagement methods in order to better involve youth who identify as members of communities or populations who have historically and contemporarily been underserved and oppressed
- Actively seeks youth input and expertise on the development of Frayme initiatives and activities.
- Coordinate engagement activities related to a specific program and/or project which includes:
- arranging meeting logistics
- putting together meeting agenda
- Creating content documents as necessary
- Support consultation requests from Frayme staff in an effort to integrate youth expertise and advisement into processes, planning and execution of work
- Engage across multiple and innovative platforms (ie. Social media), as needed
- Mentor national and international young leaders by offering capacity building and advocacy support to specific Frayme programs/projects, as necessary
- Provide allyship and support for youth, as needed
Strategic work and implementation
- Consistently embed best practice engagement approaches
- Maintain the overall health of the Frayme’s youth engagement structure by providing support in activities and maintaining deadlines outlined in strategic plans, as well as conducting regular engagement needs assessments and evaluations
- Work closely with youth to integrate their expertise and advise into processes, planning and execution of work
- Work cross-functionally with the rest of the Frayme secretariat to increase Frayme’s ability to meaningfully engage a diverse range of youth in youth mental health knowledge mobilization in Canada
- Provide strategic advice and briefing materials to help ensure successful and sustained growth of Frayme’s engagement structure
- Develop and maintain working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- A passion and interest in healthcare system transformation
- Lived experience with mental illness/substance use and recovery. Experience speaking at public events is an asset.
- Currently enrolled in or have obtained an education in a discipline related to youth mental health and well-being
- Experience working with youth and young adults with mental health and substance use issues or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Understanding of basic principles related to sustained and successful youth engagement
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of equity, inclusion, respect and social justice
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential/sensitive information
- Demonstrated success working creatively within inter-professional teams and in partnership with groups such as service providers, people with lived experience and decision-makers
- Excellent writing ability and capacity to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated adaptability, diplomacy and tact as well as understanding of the sensitive nature of youth mental health system with respective to lived experience of youth and families
- Ability to multi-task under pressure, deal with conflicting priorities, and coordinate projects to tight deadlines, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of the youth mental health sector and related issues considered an asset
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours and some weekends/evenings to support the engagement work
- Bilingualism (French/English) and/or proficiency in a second language are assets.
Please note that this is a 1 year contract with the possibility of extension.