Women's Counsellor - Battered Women's Support Services
JOIN OUR TEAM
We're on a mission to end gender based violence. For over 40 years we’ve walked alongside women, supporting them in their healing journey, amplifying voices and resilience, and we're just getting started. We are committed to doing the work and putting the women we serve at the centre of our work. A mission like ours needs a perspective like yours, that’s what makes us stronger. For more information on BWSS visit www.bwss.org
You’ll use your decolonial, intersectional feminist, anti-oppression perspective to provide trauma-informed counselling for girls, women and femmes who are dealing with the impacts of violence and abuse through individual and group counselling sessions all while working with an incredible interdisciplinary team of counsellors.
As a Woman’s Counsellor, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to the healing and freedom from violence of all girls, women and femmes through individual counselling sessions.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Providing a number of individual counselling sessions daily
- Using your strong knowledge and skills to assist girls, women and femmes who are dealing with complex trauma
- Setting goals, creating and implementing a plan and monitor progress, process and results with each individual counselling file
- Providing information, resources, referrals and supports to women
- Maintaining accurate and timely records of activities, file notes, and services, logging events and progress.
- Engaging in regular, individual and group clinical supervision sessions with supervisor
- Working with diverse marginalized communities in the Vancouver and Metro Vancouver, and ability to work with women from various cultural communities
- As needed, participating on a BWSS policy committee
- Assisting with the administration of all record keeping and service delivery obligations of the Provincial Government Stopping the Violence Counselling contract, in keeping with all legal and contractual obligations undertaken by the Society.
- Participating in BWSS resource development activities as defined by the Resource Development Committee, Manager of Development and/or Executive Director
YOU MUST HAVE…
- Minimum of four years of recent supervised adult survivor counselling experience, which must include:
- Analysis, knowledge and training in trauma counselling
- Knowledge of the impacts of structural inequalities that oppress girls, women and femmes
- Demonstrated understanding of complex trauma presentations, expertise and skills necessary to assist girls, women and femmes who are dealing with the long lasting effects.
- Eagerness and creativity to create and co-facilitate specialized counselling groups
- Flexibility to perform other job requirements as assigned
- Experience supervising practicum students
- Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Satisfactory criminal record checks.
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF YOU…
- Are familiar with the fact that COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated the disparities and gender-based violence that girls, women and femmes experience
- Have experience in women’s organization and non-profit society environments
- Have proven ability to work co-operatively with colleagues and service providers in the community
- Have organizational skills, ability and flexibility to work remotely
- Have superior group facilitation skills
- Part time position at 32 hours per week with an hourly rate of $33.83
- Reports to the Manager of Direct Services and Clinical Practice
- This position requires union membership
- Wages and benefits as per the collective agreement
- As a bona fide job requirement, this position will be held by a woman or femme
If you seek the opportunity to commit to an organization engaged in making a real difference in the lives of children and women in our community, please send your resume by 5pm on May 14, 2021. Respond via email to: Battered Women’s Support Services email@example.com. No phone calls please.