Withdrawal Management Workers/Crisis Counsellors - St. Leonard's Community Services
St. Leonard’s Community Services has been an established part of the community for more than 50 years, and is accredited for our excellence in serving children, youth, adults and families within the communities we serve.
Our staff enjoy:
- ‘Perks’ such as a fitness benefit; Employee Assistance Plan; participation in pension/RSP/TFSA plans; and group health & dental plans where premiums are 100% paid by the Agency (Full Time staff)
- An Agency committed to ensuring their physical and mental health/safety is paramount
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Supportive, collaborative teamwork, where diversity is respected, and hard work is recognized
Withdrawal Management Workers provide support to individuals withdrawing from alcohol and/or drugs within a non-medical, residential facility. You are part of a collaborative team that ensures client safety and comfort at this early stage of their recovery. You monitor client withdrawal symptoms, dispense medication as prescribed, support brief service plans and discharge plans, and assist with connection to ongoing service and supports.
The Integrated Mental Health & Addictions Crisis Network provides immediate crisis support and/or counseling for individuals experiencing mental health, addictions or situational crisis for all ages. The crisis counsellor will assess each situation to determine the best way to help.
Working in these roles, you would:
- Provide risk assessments and referrals
- Conduct crisis intervention and stabilization
- Offer solution-focused counselling
- Liaise with resources, supports and referral sources
- Conduct in-person and telephone screening of clients prior to admission
- Deliver brief, solution-focused interventions
- Monitor withdrawal symptoms, document client medications and alert medical professionals to any issues which impact client’s safe withdrawal
- Support implementation of client service and/or discharge plans
- Provide individual or group psychoeducation to enhance client motivation to change
- Maintain a safe and clean facility
Hourly wage: (WMTS) - $18.53; (Crisis) - $21.17 plus shift premiums
Hours of work: Primarily weekends, with rotational shifts: mornings, afternoons and nights.
Start date: as soon as possible
TO APPLY, YOU MUST:
- Have a college diploma in the Human/Social Services field (i.e. PSW, SSW), with a University Degree in a related Social Sciences preferred.
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ combined education/experience in counselling within an Addictions and/or Mental health settings, with specific experience working with individuals in crisis or substance use, concurrent disorders and/or mental health settings. Residential experience is also preferred and/or one year of recent experience in management of withdrawal from substances.
- Be proficient in MS Office and be familiar with databases.
- Have access to reliable transportation.
- Be able to manage frequent exposure to direct and vicarious trauma
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 519.759.8156
Apply by January 27, 2020
Reference: WM Worker/Crisis Couns.
Personal information submitted will only be used for the purposes of the competition in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
St. Leonard's Community Services is dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. The Agency encourages applications from all qualified individuals. If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of our contact so that we may arrange for their provision.