Volunteer, Board of Director - St. Lawrence Youth Association
Volunteer Board Member
The St. Lawrence Youth Association is a non-profit charitable organization, funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, dealing with young persons in conflict with the law between the ages of 12-17. SLYA operates two residential programs (Achievement St. Lawrence and Sundance), three community-based programs (Community Support Services, Intensive Support & Supervision Program and Youth Justice Family Worker), and a Bailiff Program.
We are currently seeking 2 people to join our volunteer Board of Directors. We are looking for individuals whose skills, passion and experience align with the mission, and values of SLYA.
Our Mission: St. Lawrence Youth Association provides individualized restorative programming for youth at risk, aims to reduce youth crime and helps build strong individuals and communities.
- Our Values
- C – Collaborative
- A – Accountable
- R- Responsive
- I- Individualized
- N- Nurturing
- G - Growth
EXPECTED COMMITMENT FROM BOARD MEMBERS:
• Attend Board meetings – 6 to 8 per year/ 120-minute meetings
• Dependent on Director role, be requested to participate in on the Finance Committee) – 4 – 6 per year/ 60-minute meetings
• Participate as able in ad hoc committees
• Attend annual general meeting and any special general meetings
• Provide governance over the following key areas; mission statement and guiding principles, strategic plan, by-laws, board recruitment and development, recruitment, selection, evaluation and dismissal of Executive Director, financial management, fundraising strategy, and will ensure that services and programs meet the needs of the people that are served by the organization.
• Directors shall hold office for a term of 4 years and shall be eligible for re-election for one further term of 4 years for a total of 8 consecutive years.
THE BOARD RECRUITMENT COMMITTEE IS PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN CANDIDATES WITH ANY OF FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND EXPERTISE, to add to your Board Competencies:
• Finance, legal, marketing, fundraising/grant applications
• Diversity, Francophone, Retired
• Mental health, Accessibility
Applicants must submit:
A résumé / CV
A letter of interest describing relevant skills, experience, and personal attributes
Applications will be reviewed by the Board Recruitment Committee. Selected candidates will be notified and interviewed at which time a clear CPIC (criminal reference check) will be requested
We anticipate successful candidates will be nominated at the SLYA AGM in September 2020
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION, PLEASE CONTACT: Deborah Kyte, Confidential Secretary to the Board, Deborah@slya.ca