Vocational Instructor - Labour Education Centre
Vocational Instructor – TradeLinx
Report to: Project Director, TradeLinx
Location: 25 Klondike Drive Toronto M9L 1S1
The Vocational Instructor is primarily responsible for designing, delivering, and updating the construction certification training and hands-on vocational training along with the Project Director/Vocational Instructor. In addition, they maintain accurate client records, assists the Project Director/Vocational Instructor in providing access to wrap-around supports and in identifying suitable job placements.
- Experience as a Journeyperson (or equivalent) in a construction building trade.
- Qualified to be certified as a Workers Health and Safety Centre instructor.
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Previous experience in training, teaching, and motivating individuals with an equity perspective.
- Proficient in teaching computer and math upgrading in a varied level learner cohort
- Ability to develop and deliver hands on projects, including framing, drywall, tape and mud, painting and other small wood working projects
- Qualified to set up and maintain mill equipment.
- Demonstrated extensive construction skills from small tools to elevated work platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a positive and professional attitude.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, team player, organized, innovative, self-motivated, proactive, attention to detail, ability to read blueprints, ability to focus and prioritize
- Strong computer skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of workers who are newcomers, workers of colour, women, and other equity-seeking workers.
- Able to set priorities and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Able to exercise discretion and good judgment interacting with unions and other organizations.
- Able to model and enforce good safety protocols in a workshop atmosphere.
- Second language an asset.
Duties & Responsibilities
Program Development & Delivery
- Confirm that pre-apprenticeship training registrants conform to the Ministry of Training, Labour and Skills Development policies and requirements for apprenticeship training contracts.
- Ensure training standards and curriculum are in compliance with the current guidelines of the Ontario College of Trades. Assure that the program participants are trained within the scope of trade and to industry standards to maximize the success and retention of each apprentice.
- Assist in identifying job placements matched to participants’ abilities, as directed.
- Identify post hiring needs of participants and responds with effective programming, information and resources, and referrals as directed.
- Co-deliver construction industry certification training and hands-on training for a variety of construction programs.
- Assist in the provision of one-on-one support mentoring to program participants, including ensuring access to needed wrap-around supports.
- Ensure all training equipment is maintained in full working order.
- Identify training resources, including equipment that can be incorporated into TradeLinx.
Job Placement & Wrap-around Support
- Assist with job development and job placement duties in collaboration with Project Director/Vocational Instructor.
- Assist with post placement wrap-around support to ensure job retention, including counselling on workplace issues, career building, and referrals for family/emotional difficulties.
- Enter accurate and complete information in accordance with City of Toronto POES specifications.
Other duties as required.
- Work location: 25 Klondike Drive, North York, ON, M9L 1S1 and/or virtual work from home when required
- Physical environment: Construction Training Centre
- Normal workweek: 35 hours per week; the workday for this position begins at 7:00am and on occasion is required to work evenings or weekends
- Unionized: bargaining unit position salary and benefits are as per the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union (COPE) Local 343.