Variety Village Communication & Marketing Specialist - Variety Village
Title: Variety Village Communication & Marketing Specialist
Reports to: Communications Manager
Status: Full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday (Some Weekends and Evening required)
Location: Variety Village, Scarborough, ON
Reporting the Manager, Communication, the successful incumbent will support Variety Village and specifically the areas of Access & Awareness, Membership Services and Programs & Facilities, by developing and executing communication and marketing strategies, supporting Variety Village events and handling regular website and portal updates and related messaging to Variety’s members through social media and other platforms.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing a communication strategy that includes media outreach and social media content creation;
- Researching and writing press releases and content for Variety Village’s website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts and newsletter;
- Managing Variety Village’s internal and external communication;
- Drafting media statements, and answering media questions where appropriate;
- Managing the Variety Village communication in line with Variety-the Children’s Charity branding;
- Producing Variety Village’s seasonal program guides, both online and in hardcopy;
- Creating marketing materials to support Membership marketing strategies targeted at retention and growth;
- Updating Variety Village’s registration portal with messaging and graphics, as required;
- Supporting Variety Village events, including s on-line registration, event promotion and event execution. Currently events include but are not limited to:
- Lieutenant Governor Games
- Police Games
- Access Expo
- Active Living Conference
- Barrier Free Days
- VVAC Banquet
- Various Membership Promotional Events
- Creating general member communications regarding facility changes, closures and other facility related matters that impact members;
- Reviewing and editing Director’s communication documents to ensure consistent messaging;
- Managing Variety Village’s social media;
- Adhering to the company’s style guide, ensuring that Variety Village communications are high-quality and error-free;
- Supporting and evaluating results of communication campaigns;
- Building and maintaining relationships with local media and key external supporters.
- Participating in company training that includes Health & Safety, AODA, Covid-19 Safety and Plan to Protect.
- Participating in Variety’s Orientation program and adhere to established organizational policies and protocols.
- Handling other duties as assigned.
Key Competencies and Qualifications
- Bachelors’ degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a hands-on communications/marketing role in the private or not-for-profit sector;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Familiarity with Adobe Software, Canva, Mailchimp, Wordpress, Wix, Eventbrite, Square, ecommerce platforms is an asset
- Knowledge of document accessibility and creation in line with AODA legislation
- Ability to work well under pressure and meets tight deadlines;
- Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office and related business and communication tools;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Content writing experience for all media platforms;
- Proven social media and networking expertise;
- Strategic and creative mindset;
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task effectively.
To apply, kindly submit your resume along with a letter to application including salary expectations to the email address below by May 14th, 2021. Applicants should be prepared to participate in a multi-step interview process. The successful applicant will be required to complete a criminal record check.
Please note that requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements outlined in the job posting. Applicants should make their requirements known when contacted.
Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted, but we take this opportunity to sincerely thank all who applied for their interest.
To learn more about Variety Village, please visit