Telephone Surveyor - Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with social, economic, and environmental justice. For more information, visit: www.policyalternatives.ca
About the Project
The CCPA is producing a seventh annual CCPA child care fees study which calculates the median child care fees for 30 of Canada’s cities. The report also provides breakdowns by age group and by child care type. This multi-year research project has been a critical part of drawing much-needed attention to the costs and importance of child care in Canada. An example of a previous report can be found at: www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/progress
Under the supervision of David Macdonald, Senior Economist, the Child Care Fees Telephone Surveyor will:
- make calls, from a provided list, to child care centres, child care homes, and child care home agencies across 30 cities and perform a short survey with each;
- enter the appropriate data from those calls into a spreadsheet;
- coordinate with government officials to obtain fee data where available.
Skills and Experience
A successful candidate will:
- have experience working with Google Sheets (and/or Microsoft Excel) and data entry;
- have experience with either conducting telephone surveys or doing telephone work in general;
- have an interest in child care and/or progressive public policy in general.
The ability to speak French is an asset. A college- or university-level background in social science is also an asset.
- The work will begin immediately upon finding a successful candidate.
- The position is full time (35 hours per week) for a minimum of one month (4 weeks) with the possibility of a short-term extension. The scheduling of hours may vary from a standard 9am to 5pm day because telephone calls to other timezones may require either an earlier or a later start depending on the cities being surveyed.
- The surveyor will be required to work in person at the CCPA's National Office in Ottawa. The surveyor will be provided with a workstation, computer, and telephone.
- COVID-19 safety protocols will be in effect. Each surveyor will work in a separate closed-door office. Each office will contain hand sanitizer that will be used upon entry or exit of each closed-door office. Masks are mandatory at all times in the building while outside the closed-door office. All in-person meetings will require masks and social/physical distancing.
- The hourly rate of pay will be 19.23 plus vacation pay (4% of gross wages).
How To Apply
- Provide a resume and at least two references (names and telephone numbers only; no reference letters, please).
- Attach your resume and references as PDF documents.
- Put “Child care fees surveyor” in the subject line.
- Send application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered immediately and on a rolling basis. Positions will remain available until enough suitable candidates are found. Only selected applicants will be contacted and the job posting will close as soon as enough candidates are found. The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is committed to employment equity and we welcome applications from historically disadvantaged groups.