Technical Advisor - Education - Children Believe
Careers that empower young dreamers
When you make a decision to work with Children Believe you’re not just doing something great for your career, you’re helping empower children around the world to access education, pursue their dreams and be a voice for change. We know there are lots of career options for talented, top performers like you, but not many offer the opportunity to help children live and dream fearlessly. Children Believe is currently recruiting for the following position:
Technical Advisor, Education
The Technical Advisor, Education has a primary focus on education with an understanding of cross-sectional issues - gender and safeguarding. The position will take the lead on developing and adapting the education, gender and safeguarding vision and strategies for Children Believe.
The Advisor will work with employees in Children Believe’s global offices to provide technical support to meet the program goals and learning outcomes. They will be responsible for designing and developing the education portfolio to align with new strategic initiatives. The position will also move forward a gender equity approach, inline with Children Believe’s gender policy in all of Children Believe’s work. The position will initiate effective measures to protect and prevent children and vulnerable adults from exploitation and abuse during the delivery of programs, inline with Children Believe’s Safeguarding policies.
This role includes, but not limited to:
1. Strategic Support
- Participate in the overall strategy and program priorities for Children Believe’s education portfolio.
- Ensure mainstreaming and integration of gender across all programs and projects supported by Canada’s gender based analysis plus framework.
- Support the program team to adapt components in its program strategy to meet the needs of vulnerable and socially marginalised gender groups.
- Be an ambassador for the safeguarding policies and socialise the non-negotiable policies.
- Provide technical support in mainstreaming safeguarding across Children Believe’s programs and departments and ensure that children and vulnerable adults are not at any risks and abuses during the course of our work
2. Technical Support
- Provide guidance throughout the program cycles to enhance the impact of education programs/projects, improve learning outcomes and equitable and inclusive education, especially for underprivileged, marginalized, and excluded children.
- Develop the analysis for the education programs to ensure that current data on education issues is available to guide strategic policy and lead the preparation and sharing of the annual education score card report for greater program impact and influence.
- Support new business development teams and extend technical expertise in the development of new education project proposals or concept notes for various donors and funding opportunities.
- Organize and conduct high-level influencing interventions engaging GAC Government, CSOs and donors on Children Believe’s education programs challenges and achievements including the annual international development week and build in-house capacity of program teams including cross learning initiatives with other thematic approaches.
- Provide technical leadership to all ongoing and future programs to ensure integration of gender in program interventions focused on adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) and economic empowerment.
- With the support of resources internal and external to CB, deliver a practicable and pragmatic gender guideline and expertise advise that will lead to positive gender equality outcomes. Consider the intersection of gender and age-related disadvantages and follow a collaborative approach by engaging youth as participants in the development of gender strategy.
- Guide and support program teams on gender needs assessment and analyzing the findings. Provide technical support to program teams on developing/adapting gender transformative approaches to consistently engage women, and socially excluded boys, girls, women and men.
- Develop tools, frameworks, training modules and resources to enable better gender integration and initiate capacity-building initiatives for concerned team members.
- Build the capacity of program team in understanding safeguarding requirements and integrate it in program activities including children and vulnerable adults during emergencies. (CPiE)
- Provide technical support to program, finance and compliance departments in adhering to CB global safeguarding policies. Work with all country teams to strengthen child and vulnerable adults’ safety and safeguarding by strengthening capacities of staff and partners in risk assessments and mitigating steps.
- Coordinate, plan and devise training on child safety and safeguarding for staff at different levels.
- Support on Child Safeguarding incident reports and investigations with the support of respective Focal Points and manage incident reporting ensuring appropriate documentation and escalations. Analyze trends from reporting mechanisms and provide management with recommendations for improvements.
- Maintain a system to document risks and concerns raised, ensuring that appropriate follow-up is completed and that learning from implementing these processes is fed back into CB’s practice, policies and risk management.
3. Administrative and Training Support
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget. Ensure the performance of contracts, memorandums of agreement (MOAs), and other internal/external regulations
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as applicable.
- Support all COs to scale up influencing initiatives in the areas of education with the government, CSOs and donor agencies.
- Lead building the capacity of CB partners through effective training tools including workshops, seminars etc.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with partners, the development community and government agencies and network, advocate, raise awareness and position CB as a leading expert and credible resource on issues related to education, gender equality and safeguarding.
- Regularly review and recommend changes to policies, procedures and guidelines to measurably improve organizational effectiveness and comply with local legislation.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Post-graduate or Master’s degree or equivalent training qualification in Education, Gender Studies, International Development, Social Sciences, or relevant development field.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in the development field, with at least 3 years in a technical advisory role.
- Experience in the management and execution of multi-country programs related to education, gender- equality and safeguarding/protection programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge or familiarity with Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP), Gender Equality Policy, or Gender Based Analysis Plus (GBA+); approaches for program design and implementation.
- Exposure to institutional donors’ compliance requirements e.g. GAC, EU, or UNICEF
- Good understanding of structural barriers that affect access to education, gender equality or safety to women and children.
- Demonstrated experience in building networks with development agencies, funding agencies at national & regional level to scale up program impact and influencing agenda.
- Proven experience in group facilitation skills, capacity building, training.
- Strong computer skills - Microsoft Office suite and other relevant applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for preparing and presenting information.
- Ability to speak and/or write in either French or Spanish will be considered an asset.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to Children Believe’s Vision, Mission, and Values.
Attributes, Traits, Behaviours:
- Accountability for results;
- Confident leader able to express humility and cultural intelligence;
- Creative thinker and able to offer innovative insights;
- High integrity and dependability;
- Attention to detail and high capacity for analysis;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
Location: The office is located at 1200 Denison Street, Markham, ON. Staff are currently working from home with some flexibility on in-office activity until further notice (due to Covid-19 related health precautions).
Children Believe offers competitive paid time-off benefits and a comprehensive group benefits plan, including health/dental, life insurance, disability, EFAP and company-match RRSP.
If you believe you have that unique combination of a not-for-profit heart, combined with the skills and interest for the Technical Advisor, Education, then you will want to apply for this opportunity by going to Children Believe's Careers website:
Select the button: “Find Career Opportunities”.
Search under Job Title for "Technical Advisor, Education". Follow the application process stated on the specific job posting, you will be required to complete a brief questionnaire and attach your résumé and covering letter.
Children Believe is not accepting recruitment agency/firm referrals.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a Canadian criminal record check.
Children Believe is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Children Believe is committed to providing workplace accommodations. If you require an accommodation, inform us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.