Support Worker - Government of Yukon
Government of Yukon -> Health & Social Services – Health ad Community Outreach Services
Salary: $68,807 - $79,706 per annum
Closing date: October 20, 2020
This competition is preferenced for candidates with Aboriginal ancestry.
This posting is to fill term, anticipatory permanent, as well as potentially auxiliary on-call positions.
Working for Whitehorse Emergency Shelter means you have a chance to make a difference every day. Our name says ‘shelter,’ however we are so much more than just a warm place to stay. Our staff works to build connections, promote recovery and inclusion, provide support, deliver programming, offer meals, and create a safe, welcoming space. You can be part of that team.
We are seeking experienced and caring individuals who are committed to being a part of our Shelter Team to better help our at-risk and vulnerable people improve their health and well-being. Bring your skills to us, and we will help you develop with access to in-house professional development, flexible work and leave options to meet your needs as well as a comprehensive rewards package. Map your career as a Public Servant with us and see where it will take you. Learn more about what we offer.
As part of our team, you’ll develop relationships and connections with our residents and guests to provide low-barrier services and supports. You’ll also offer crisis intervention and de-escalation for people who have multiple and complex needs including homelessness, lack of access to services/supports, illhealth, mental illness, substance misuse, trauma and violence, discrimination, and cognitive impairment.
As a Support Worker, you’ll assess ongoing safety risks and implement conflict resolution and de-escalation techniques. You’ll also develop and implement basic case-planning with residents and guests who have complex care needs including extensive trauma, disabilities, and mental health and substance use-challenges. In addition to creating a safe, supportive and respectful environment for all residents, guests and visitors, your duties will include orienting guests and visitors to the facility and many supports available onsite, and maintaining comprehensive and professional records. You’ll maintain professional boundaries, possess good self-care, and adhere to professional conduct.
For more information about the position of Support Worker at the Whitehorse Emergency Shelter, please contact Terry Creamer, A/Manager – Community Outreach Services, at Terry.Creamer@gov.yk.ca
For more information about applying on positions within Health and Social Services, please contact Kelly Jiang, Human Resource Consultant, at Kelly.Jiang@gov.yk.ca
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications, specifically how your work experiences and related duties align with the essential qualifications shown below.
* Refer to: https://yukon.ca/en/employment/prepare-add-and-edit-your-cover-letter-and-resume for more information about preparing your resume for a Yukon Government posting.
- Certificate, diploma, or degree in social work, nursing, mental health, addictions, or other related health services field OR relevant related experience;
- Experience working with vulnerable individuals who are homeless, marginally housed and present with complex needs such as substance use, mental health and/or physical health challenges;
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that has a high frequency of crisis including mental health and substance use;
- Experience helping clients identify and access the supports and services they require to meet their needs and goals;
- Experience providing crisis management, conflict resolution and informal counselling.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Knowledge of trauma-informed practice, cultural competency, harm-reduction and Housing First principles;
- Knowledge of indigenous culture, traditions, communities, and local First Nations Governments and organizations as well as understanding of the impacts of historical trauma and ongoing poor social determinants of health;
- Knowledge of and ability to respond to mental illness, substance use, cognitive impairment, and challenging behaviours;
- Ability to defuse crisis and respond effectively to emergency situations;
- Demonstrate critical and abstract thinking;
- Demonstrated awareness and knowledge of the causes of homelessness and the issues impacting homeless/marginally housed individuals;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, conflict management, and relationship building skills;
- Sound professional boundaries, adherence to ethical principles and managed self-care;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Conditions of Employment:
- Vulnerable Sector RCMP Security clearance;
- WHMIS 2015;
- TB screening;
- Standard First Aid.
- Work frequent evenings, nights, and rotations.
- Provision of front-line supports to individuals accessing the Whitehorse Emergency Shelter which includes: shelter intake, lay counselling, offering linkages and connections to community supports, and maintaining surveillance and over-sight of the facility to ensure guest and staff safety at all times.
- Work primarily in a facility setting.
- Exposure to clients with high levels of complex needs, substance use challenges and direct and vicarious trauma.
Learn more about us!
We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment.
Yukon government has been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers since 2014!
To learn more about why the Yukon government is recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, please select the following link:
To learn more about what Yukon has to offer, check out these links: http://www.employment.gov.yk.ca/yukon_life.html
How to Apply
To apply for the position of Support Worker, and for full details on the requirements of the role, please visit: https://yukon.ca/en/employment.
"Committed to Employment Equity"