Specialist, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning - Stephen Lewis Foundation
SPECIALIST, MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING
The Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF) is a dynamic, collaborative, feminist organization with an unwavering commitment to supporting grassroots organizations across Africa in countries hardest hit by the AIDS pandemic. The work unfolding in these communities is ground-breaking, as lives are rebuilt, rights are reclaimed and resilience re-forged. We are passionately committed to our partnerships and this model of working is infused into the fabric of our day-to-day work.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation partners with community-based organizations that are turning the tide of the HIV and AIDS pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa by providing care and support to women, orphaned children, grandmothers, people living with HIV and AIDS, and LGBTIQ communities. Since 2003, the SLF has funded over 1700 initiatives, partnering with more than 325 community-based organizations.
Reporting to the Acting Director of Programs, the Specialist, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning is a leadership position at the SLF. This position will be responsible for playing a key role in overseeing the work of a team of SLF Field Representatives. The SLF relies on the expertise of several African and Africa-based consultant Field Representatives, who regularly visit our partners in 15 countries across Africa and act as our eyes, ears, and heart on-the-ground. The Specialist, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning also plays a role in sharing program learning with major donors through contributing to report and proposal writing. This position will be a strategic and imaginative thinker, responsible for seeing a variety of special program initiatives through to successful completion.
This is a 1-year contract full-time. Usually, this position is based at our downtown Toronto office. Given COVID-19, all SLF staff are working remotely until further notice.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact Assessment
- Support the integration of virtual M&E processes, including documenting new processes, creating supplemental training materials and orientation plan for SLF Field Representatives
- Strategically develop an M&E calendar and coordinate regular M&E visits to SLF partners in close collaboration with the Programs Team
- Work directly with Field Representatives to debrief visits and coordinate timely submission of reports
- Receive, review and recommend for approval all Field Representative expense claims and invoices
- Review and revamp guidelines/templates for advances, invoicing, remuneration for Field
- Representatives as needed to be in line with SLF values and policies
- Update M&E manual regularly in line with approved process changes
- Organize regular meetings (in person and virtually) with Field Representatives as needed
- Analyze and follow-up on issues raised in M&E reports as needed
- Manage the implementation and ongoing maintenance of SLF Impact Assessment Framework including overseeing appropriate software, generating ongoing analysis, etc., in close collaboration with the Programs Team, the Executive Director, and others
- With the Acting Director of Programs, continually assess how the SLF M&E and impact assessment process can evolve to reflect the depth and scope of the overall portfolio of SLF-funded organizations
- Organize substantive discussions, roundtables, and other meetings as needed
- Work in collaboration with the Finance & Accounting Manager and Program Assistant to prepare M&E budget updates and projections
Oversee specialized, targeted M&E processes
- With the Acting Director of Programs, coordinate and oversee evaluations of SLF funding/initiatives. For example, a review of effective grassroots responses to the intersection of COVID-19 and HIV.
- Oversee targeted field visits to collect relevant information
Programme Learning and Communication
- In collaboration with relevant programs and development staff, contribute to donor proposals, reports and communications material as needed
- Represent the SLF at various speaking engagements and events
- In close collaboration with the Acting Director of Programs, help oversee a range of SLF-facilitated thematic initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- A progressive and unconventional approach to philanthropy, impact assessment, and evaluation processes that recognize the expertise, capacity, and intelligence powering the grassroots responses to HIV and AIDS in Africa
- A minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of international development in Africa, or a related field, including a strong understanding of the intersections of HIV and AIDS, poverty, and gender issues on the continent
- Solid knowledge of, and appreciation for, the varied geographies, cultures, and histories present within Africa
- Demonstrated initiative to take the lead on projects
- Track record of holding positions which require strategic critical thinking and demonstrate an imaginative approach to opportunities, issues and challenges
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to actively contribute to a positive, collaborative work environment
- Personal commitment to the values of anti-colonialism, feminism, solidarity, mutual respect, collaboration, and social justice
- Strong computer skills, including Excel, databases, word processing, presentation packages (PowerPoint), internet, and email
- Comfort with a fast-paced work environment that requires flexibility, advanced prioritization skills, and outstanding time-management skills
- Excellent ability to communicate with warmth, professionalism, clarity and tact via written and verbal mediums
- Strong public speaking skills
Supervisor: Acting Director of Programs
Those wishing to apply please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note “Specialist, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning” in the email subject line.
The closing date for this position is August 26th, 2020 at midnight.
Please do not call or email the Foundation about this posting. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that due to COVID-19 the recruitment process will be conducted virtually via-zoom meetings.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation promotes feminist and anti-oppression principles. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your interest.