Specialist, Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning - World Vision Canada
Position: Specialist, Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning
Reports to: Manager, Sectoral Integration & Technical Branding
Position Term: Full time Permanent
The Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist will provide technical support for Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) across Programs and Policy (P&P) (as part of the Impact Value Stream). The position will strengthen M&E strategies through the development and management of performance monitoring systems for individual projects, monitoring designs and project implementation to ensure adherence to M&E standards. The position supports P&P to ensure optimal program results for partners and to cultivate strategic donor relations and funding opportunities by leveraging results for resource acquisition, policy influence and ensuring the effective use of evidence to demonstrate impact. The position represents World Vision Canada internally and externally, working collaboratively with the other members of Impact Value Stream, Programs & Policy technical specialists as well as other World Vision Canada departments and the larger World Vision partnership. The MEAL Specialist is housed in the Program and Policy division reporting to the Manager, Sectoral Integration and Technical Branding and operationally working under the Impact Value Stream. The position is based at World Vision Canada Mississauga Office with some overseas travel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote M&E standards and guidelines, best practices, and state-of-the-art approaches among WVC staff and project partners.
- Provide technical support and oversight to design teams in the development and implementation of an M&E system for each, while ensuring the quality and relevance of the project’s monitoring and evaluation design.
- Ensure quality of M&E related data to be collected throughout program implementation for initiated projects.
- Support project teams to utilize the Collaborative, Learning and Adapting Approach to continually assess project progress and inform project management decision-making.
- Provide technical guidance to Program/Grant Managers and field teams on conducting baseline assessments, evaluations and setting up monitoring and reporting systems.
- Support the analysis of quantitative and qualitative field data for specific projects and meta-analysis of impact across the grant portfolio. Manage database of indicators for consistent integration and reporting.
- Provide technical guidance to M&E system design and infrastructure to support aggregation of program results to provide consolidated program information for decision-making.
- Provide technical guidance to the vetting, selection and monitoring of external MEAL consultancies.
- Facilitate and serve as a project liaison for externally-managed evaluations.
- Strengthen the capacity of critical stakeholders, both in WVC and the field, in data collection methodology and M&E systems (in general) through training, coaching, mentoring, and ongoing project support.
- Cultivate opportunities to support scale-up and integration of WV mobile technology field applications into funding opportunities.
- Provide technical guidance to MEAL operations to design databases, workflows and information hubs that support aggregation of program results to provide consolidated program information for decision-making.
- Assist the various programs teams in Canada and the field in evaluation design, tool development, database management, data verification techniques, data analysis and other technical evaluation and analytical tasks.
- Ensure effective representation of the impact of WVC’s program portfolio to external donors and partners through dissemination of assessment findings and lessons learned, and participation in professional conferences and networks.
- Promote innovation, formative and operational research opportunities.
- The successful candidate should possess a Master’s degree in a development field, social science, economics, or other related discipline, with an emphasis on Monitoring and Evaluation.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in both development and humanitarian contexts in a senior M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of international development projects.
- Experience developing, leading and managing complex, large scale M&E initiatives.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact.)
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including data collection and analysis tools, indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and/performance monitoring plans.
- Demonstrated experience in using M&E data for decision-making and policy influence an asset.
- Experience in using Statistical Software Packages for descriptive and inferential data analysis (e.g. SPSS, Epi Info, R); experience with qualitative software packages is an asset (e.g. NVIVO)
- Strong analytical skills for synthesis of materials, evaluations, and preparation of presentations/articles for publication.
- Demonstrated experience in designing survey tools and instruments, developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design.
- Deep knowledge of donor M&E requirements, guidelines and priorities of Global Affairs Canada (knowledge of other institutional donors including multilaterals considered an asset.)
- Excellent research and evaluation skills, facilitation skills and strong negotiation, diplomacy, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize stakeholders into partnerships and alliances, lead and facilitate collaborative processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and French are highly desirable.
- Expectation of international travel of approximately 2-4 trips per year (based on normal resumption of travel outside of the current pandemic situation), including potentially to high-risk environments.