Social Worker, Counselling, Clinical Programs - LAMP
Social Worker, Counselling
Permanent Full Time Position: 35 hours per week
Position Expected Start Date: August 2020
Salary Range: $62,967.00 to $74,300.00 per year
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
The Social Worker will work within a collaborative model of care and will provide assessment, short term counselling and case management. Under the supervision of the Director, East Mississauga, this role provides one-to-one social work services and facilitates group programs. This role supports integrated service delivery at the Lakeshore site, across the organization and community, and is a resource to LAMP staff.
- Perform clinical tasks within the Social Worker scope of practice.
- Provide immediate assistance to clients who phone, walk-in or are referred to LAMP and require assessment and follow-up.
- Provide short-term and occasional counselling services to clients; and provide case management by developing plans to assist clients in achieving their goals.
- Advocate for and on behalf of clients to access services/resources/programs.
- Have a leading role and participate in the LAMP Client Response Team (CRT).
- Undertake advocacy by engaging in community outreach for identified community needs; community development by participating in coalitions/networks; and health promotion activities within LAMP.
- Develop and maintain contact with appropriate LAMP programs and referral agencies to ensure seamless service.
- Maintain comprehensive client records that meet required standards of practice.
- Enter client encounter data regularly into the EMR and maintain up-to-date client documentation.
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of group social work/ mental health programs/services.
- Maintain all activities within LAMP’s values, following a participant involvement model which focuses on strengths.
- The incumbent will ensure that all organizational policies are followed.
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Registration and in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services Workers.
- Three years’ experience minimum in a Social Worker role which includes experience with individual counselling,
- Demonstrated working experience and competency with short term client interventions and group work.
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) certification preferred.
- Proven experience working in a community setting and with people experiencing mental health and addictions challenges and needs (i.e. newcomers, immigrants, seniors, youth, queer and trans, people living in isolation and in poverty who are at risk.)
- Proven experience providing assessments, counselling and client intervention.
- Demonstrated cultural competency and awareness of cultural safety, ability to communicate with a wide variety of people from diverse cultural backgrounds, experiences and socioeconomic status.
- Must be client focused with excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to deal effectively with crisis and conflict, cope with trauma, do self-care, balance crisis support and counselling duties.
- Utilize an EMR to maintain clients’ records and enter client encounters.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
- Positive attitude, empathetic, flexible and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Participate in relevant LAMP meetings, initiatives and committees, including quality improvement initiatives and crisis response facilitation.
- Proven understanding of the social determinants of health and a health promotion framework; commitment to interdisciplinary team approach to coordination of health and social services, practice of anti-racism and anti- oppression (including anti-homophobia, anti-transphobia, anti-sexism, and others); commitment to harm reduction approach.
- Knowledge of the health care system and health insurance an asset.
- Knowledge of the Etobicoke Lakeshore community and a second language that is reflective of the community are assets.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Strong skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Experience and accuracy using database applications such as an Electronic Medical record (EMR)
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- The job requires the Social Worker to provide services and programs during the day or evenings, depending on the Social Worker availability and program requirements.
- Incumbent needs to attend to self-care, dealing with illness and death of clients, stress from working with challenging clients, and have confidence and competence in dealing with clients in crisis.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, multi-faceted environment and make quick decisions.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti- Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice. “Walk the talk.”
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Some data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Occasional standing for extended periods of time and some occasional lifting may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address │ firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject │ Job Opening for Social Worker, Counselling, Clinical programs
Internal Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Wednesday July 29, 2020
External Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Wednesday August 5, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.