Senior Program Grants Manager - Islamic Relief Canada
As the Institutional Funding Manager, you will directly impact Islamic Relief Canada’s fundraising efforts by identifying and securing bilateral and multilateral government and/or large scale foundation funding for the organization. Working across the organization, you will help position the organization for contracts and grants directly with funders for international and local opportunities and indirectly through consortia or frameworks suppliers. You will work with the project heads, field offices, finance, and various departments to research and analyze opportunities, monitor donor engagement plans, and lead/support proposal development processes from the opportunity to award.
This is a hands-on role with plenty of opportunities for personal growth. The role includes partnership management, and proposal writing and development. Ideally, we are looking for someone with experience in securing funding from Global Affairs Canada (development and humanitarian assistance funding) and has a good understanding of how Canadian institutional funding operates.
The successful candidate will thrive in a start-up atmosphere and have a creative and entrepreneurial attitude, and proven experience of successfully securing large grants and contracts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Business Development (20%)
- Research and analyze potential grant and contract opportunities including with close coordination with Project teams;
- Anticipate future trends and donor expectations and help build an intelligence-based institutional fundraising approach for the organization
- Help project teams develop relationships with local representatives of the donors in your portfolio, including briefings and field visits as necessary;
- Help strengthen the Institute’s cases for support and other fundraising materials in a way that is tailored to specific largescale foundations and government donor audiences
Proposal Development (60%)
- Lead proposal development processes for Global Affairs Canada and other large-scale foundations and institutions
- Work closely with the Programs team, field teams, and Islamic Relief partner offices to develop proposals and apply for funding
- Collaborate with and travel to project countries when required to work directly with the Institute’s country teams to design effective proposals and to devise budgets;
- Ensure all compliance issues are addressed including consulting and implementing go/no-go, consortium engagement, quality control on budgets, proposal logical models, the theory of change and M&E;
- Support contract development, negotiations, execution, corporate requirements on cost-recovery are met by liaising with relevant colleagues
Donor and Partner Relations (10%)
- Support coordination of reporting with the relevant teams including finance and program teams and ensuring compliance with grant/contract terms as well as maintain grant/contract management schedule
- Build and maintain relationships with partners to ensure the voice of Islamic Relief is heard through the relevant spaces
- Build and maintain relationships with Islamic Relief’s implementing partnerships
- Work with Programs and Finance teams to ensure a strong grants and contracts monitoring system in terms of projections and forecasting
- Attending meetings, roundtables to promote Islamic Relief’s brand, programs and projects
- Ensuring that the organization’s advocacy efforts are integrated into programming
- Other ad hoc duties as specified
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A minimum of four years of institutional fundraising experience - working with Global Affairs Canada
- A proven track record of successfully securing and managing grants from largescale foundations and government donors is essential.
- Knowledge of approaches to monitoring and evaluation and logical frameworks is desirable;
Competencies and Skills
- Excellent proposal writing and proposal development skills;
- Good researching and editing skills;
- Excellent Relationship Building Skills
- Knowledge on how campaigns are developed, implemented and monitored
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential (with French desirable);
- Strong numeracy and analytical ability, with ability to understand and design complex budgets;
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to meet deadlines under pressure and manage multiple tasks and competing priorities;
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new systems easily;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, problem-solving attitude, and ability to work both independently and as a collaborative team player
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s Degree desirable.