Senior Payroll Specialist - The York School
Are you detail oriented and like working with a team of people who are dynamic and innovative, collaborative, progressive and global-minded? If so then we are looking for you to join our Finance Team as the Senior Payroll Specialist! The York School offers an inclusive culture and values creativity, individuality and new ideas.
Like our students, teachers and staff at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders and experts in their field, they are open to change and committed to improving lives through education.
From the adapted office buildings we occupy in the heart of the city to our experiential learning model that crosses borders, our faculty and staff constantly push the limits of what’s possible. Innovation is our tradition. Ours is a stable environment of established professionals.
The York School is looking for a full-time, permanent Senior Payroll Specialist who reports directly to the CFO and is responsible for coordinating payroll and benefits for the entire school of 150 employees. The Senior Payroll Specialist must be able to work independently in this stand-alone position. The incumbent organizes all details around payroll and benefits including processing, preparing and documenting payments and changes, determining taxes and deductions, including OTPP and RRSP deductions, and issuing Records of Employment (ROE’s). The Senior Payroll Specialist is also responsible for accurate data management for benefits/pension management and accounts payables such as receiving invoices and requisitions for goods and services, and preparing and recording payments.
- Process monthly payroll for over 150 employees
- Manage all employee information in the Payworks payroll software.
- Process monthly payroll accurately and on time using Payworks payroll software
- Respond to and effectively resolve employee payroll inquiries in a timely manner
- Input changes, new information for employees and mid-cycle payroll calculations
- Complete ROE’s and prepare reports for Finance
- Verify all payroll data, changes
- Accurately calculate and process payroll deductions such as provincial and federal tax, government pension plans, OTPP and RRSP for faculty and staff
- Accurately process reporting including records of employment and year-end reporting and reconciliation for taxation (T4’s) on a timely basis
- Prepare Journal Entry for General Ledger
- Provide Support during Annual Audit
- STD/LTD process with daily and monthly updates
- Enrol and/or deactivate employees
- Update data as required (new salary, dependents , address change etc.)
- Reconcile premium billings
- Manage relationship with Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Facilitate RRSP plans, reconcile monthly and annual contributions
- Provide general information for inquiries regarding benefits, OTPP & RRSP
- Processing invoices, expense claims, credit card statements, and online orders as well as ensuring all requests for payment have supporting documentation, proper approval and are charged to appropriate general ledger accounts
- Processing payments by cheque, and other methods, within vendor payment terms or within school policies
- Coordinate required approvals and cheque signing with signing officers
- Collaborate with the Finance & Office Manager in preparing account reconciliations, account analysis and budget reports for quarter end financial reporting and annual audit
- Assisting with employee and student travel arrangements, including booking travel and accommodations
- Other duties as required
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
- Minimum 5-7 years of related experience within a large to mid-size computerized payroll environment.
- College Diploma or Undergraduate Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Completion of Canadian Payroll Association certification.
- Experience using PayWorks considered an asset
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion and to be entrusted with confidential information
- Strong problem solving and data analysis skills, knowledge of payroll legislation, generally accepted accounting principles along with research and resolution skills
- Extremely detail oriented, organized and reliable
- Ability to work independently and as a group in a fast-paced and high-volume environment
- Ability to interact with employees, vendors and other community members in a professional manner.
Join Our Community
Like our students, teachers and staff at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders in their field, they are collaborative, open to change and committed to improving lives through education. The York School offers a comprehensive benefits package, group RRSP and professional development opportunities.
Accessibility & Equal Opportunity at The York School
At The York School, our mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are engaged citizens of the world. As such, we are an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. Upon request, we will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities within our recruitment process.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by submitting their resume and cover letter in one document to the email email@example.com by October 21, 2019. Please make sure to quote the Job Title in the subject line. To find out more about this job posting, please visit our careers page at www.yorkschool.com/about-us/careers
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.