Senior Manager, Policy and Research – Hire Immigrants Ottawa - United Way East Ontario
Hire Immigrants Ottawa is a local initiative that brings together employers, immigrant agencies and community stakeholders to create employment opportunities for skilled immigrants in Ottawa. The main objective of HIO is to increase the number of employers in the Ottawa area who hire skilled immigrants into their workplaces.
The Senior Manager, Policy and Research will lead HIO’s research and -- policy analysis activities to inform employer engagement and resource development to enhance employment opportunities for skilled immigrants into the local workforce. The Senior Manager will work closely with the Engagement team and project stakeholders in the private, non-profit and public sectors, including all three levels of government.
Position Status: Full-time, August 2020 to March 31, 2021
- Research and analyze issues generally related to the labour market integration of immigrants into the workforce, with a focus on employer barriers/challenges and solutions.
- Lead the design and implementation of research projects, including drafting project documents, research schedules and work-plans.
- Lead the implementation of programs and project monitoring, and evaluation frameworks.
- Prepare project progress reports and policy documents such as briefing notes, position papers, etc.
- Monitor and analyze emerging policy issues and public discourse on topics relevant to HIO’s mandate, (including federal and provincial legislation, and regulatory bodies) and develop key messages for internal and external use.
- Forge new partnerships with a range of research and policy experts, institutions and other stakeholders to further leverage knowledge generation activities.
- Disseminate research results, either in part or in full, through the HIO website, at conferences, to project partners and stakeholders.
- Research and write articles for publication in relevant publications including newspapers and journals.
- Lead the development, production and distribution of communications materials such as HIO Communiqué (e-newsletters), factsheets and annual report.
- Prepare speaking notes/scripts for HIO spokes people for media interviews and public events
- Engage in conferences, working groups, speaking engagements and other public activities.
- Contribute to the development of grant proposals and preparation of reports to funders
- Other duties that may be assigned.
- Advanced degree demonstrating research abilities in appropriate discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience in public policy, social sciences, or related field;
- A minimum of five years professional experience conducting research and policy analysis;
- Experience writing and publishing compelling research, policy analysis and/or learning materials in a variety of formats and demonstrating excellent written communication skills;
- Demonstrated skill in prioritizing and balancing multiple competing tasks, projects, and deadlines;
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders;
- Strong organizational, oral communications and presentation skills;
- Advanced computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
- Effective communication in both official languages considered an asset;
- Familiarity with labour market integration of immigrants is an asset.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit a detailed cover letter and a resume indicating their interest in the role in confidence by August 6, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the competition number when submitting your resume. United Way East Ontario encourages qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may need accommodation, to apply to join our staff team. Please advise if you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.