Senior Development Officer, Fraser Valley (Maternity Leave Contract) - BC Cancer Foundation
The BC Cancer Foundation is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With almost 80 employees working across 6 sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians.
About the Opportunity:
The BC Cancer Foundation is seeking a Senior Development Officer, Fraser Valley (maternity leave coverage) for a 13-month contract from February 2021 to March 2022.
The Senior Development Officer, Fraser Valley is an experienced professional who acts as a senior level fundraiser with a successful track record of securing gifts, including those at a Major Gift level. The individual will participate in planning key strategies for potential donors poised to support the organization with philanthropy by assisting in the design, organization, direction and evaluation of the Fraser Valley portfolio. This individual will provide insight and strategy for high quality prospect research and pipeline development and analysis to provide accurate, timely, and strategic information on prospective donors in the Fraser Valley. In addition the role may support other fundraising initiatives and projects across the Foundation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist in the development and implementation of a comprehensive plan designed to increase funding and heighten public awareness of BC Cancer research and care in the Fraser Valley region.
- Participate in the planning and evaluation of fundraising programs, campaigns, projects and events to ensure that the focus and integrity of the BC Cancer Foundation is maintained and resources deployed where appropriate.
- Participate in the recruitment and subsequent involvement of corporate and community leaders in the cultivation and solicitation of gifts.
- Identify new prospective donors, assess their gift capacity and potential, uncover facts that show how an optimum size gift may best be solicited; contribute to the development of targeted cultivation strategies
- Setting and achieving aspirational annual activity goals aligned with the priorities of the Foundation and BC Cancer related to: strategic donor engagement; solicitations (current and planned gifts); engagement of our BC Cancer partners; and collaborative activities related to revenue generation across the Foundation.
- Evaluate site/program results with direct manager to identify potential challenges and respond to day-to-day concerns.
- Build strong and collaborative working relationships with the Fraser Valley, BC Cancer Site leadership teams to ensure alignment and support for fundraising activity.
- Develop and maintain a good working knowledge of BC Cancer
- Represents the BC Cancer Foundation, when requested, at official meetings and functions as required.
- Support other Provincial fundraising initiatives and projects on an as needed basis which may include fundraising support for our largest mass participation event, The Ride to Conquer Cancer, developing Corporate Relationships to support our Corporate Relations strategy, supporting targeting fundraising activity and campaigns within the Development team.
- A degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a related field, plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising / donor relations, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Must have a demonstrated ability to secure significant gifts
Core knowledge + skills:
- Specialized knowledge of sophisticated fundraising programs particularly in Major Gifts
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to provide clear executive information
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices; keen interest in new and innovative ideas for research and pipeline management
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, effectiveness and organizational skills and the ability to work well and within timelines
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact in handling highly sensitive and confidential information ethically; adhering to professional standards and protecting the confidential information of BCCF and BC Cancer
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, database/information management, email and internet. A knowledge of sophisticated fundraising software programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge would be an advantage
- Uphold and contribute to BCCF’s values of Professional, Passionate, and Positivity
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
If this position is of interest to you, please apply online at: https://bccancerfoundation.com/about-us/careers