Senior Accountant - CESO (Canadian Executive Service Organization)
CESO is an international economic development organization growing sustainable, inclusive businesses, and strengthening government infrastructure. CESO deploys its experts to businesses, communities, governments and individuals around the world and in Canada.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for performing general and senior bookkeeping duties, cash flow management and support within the Finance team. Assists the Accounting Manager, as required, by overseeing / reviewing the day-to-day operations of general bookkeeping functions within the team and contributes to continuous improvements to effectively streamline processes and work flow. This position will be based in our Toronto office.
- Assists the Accounting Manager, as required, in overseeing / reviewing accounts payables and receivables transactions within the team.
- Assists the Accounting Manager in preparing documents and interpreting complex financial information for Managers.
- Supports the Accounting Manager to provide invoices and A/R reports to other departmental staff to enable timely A/R collection.
- Understands, communicates and enforces compliance with the financial terms and conditions of funding contracts, and CESO finance policies.
- Processes and prepares payment of accounts payable, such as but not limited to volunteer expense claims, monthly field office expense reports, and credit card transactions. Works closely with relevant staff or in-country representatives to ensure proper approval and supporting documentation is provided for all accounts payable items and clearly communicates back to the applicable stakeholder re any accounting adjustments made.
- Prepares or assists Accounting Manager with journal entries and monthly account reconciliations.
- Supports the Accounting Manager to prepare and maintain accurate, complete and up-to-date accounting records on a timely basis.
- Participates in implementing and enforcing CESO’s internal controls policies and procedures.
- Assists the Accounting Manager in the development of processes and procedures to improve efficiency.
- Undertakes research and financial analysis to support ongoing program development and learning.
- Prepares or assists with the preparation of internal and external financial reports.
- Prepares or assists with performing preliminary actual vs. budget analysis, and reviews/validates the analysis results with the appropriate parties.
- Responds to internal inquiries with respect to financial matters as needed.
- Assists with the preparation and coordination of external audits.
- Works with vendors/service providers to resolve billing issues.
- Assists with updating information systems for the purpose of sharing data with other internal users.
- Performs other duties and ad hoc requests as assigned by the Accounting Manager.
- Where requested, participates in and contributes to organizational initiatives such as process improvements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Accounting designation (CPA/CGA/CMA/CA)
- 4+ years of experience in accounting, preferably in the non-profit industry
- Very strong attention to detail and results-oriented
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Experience with Quickbooks is essential
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Functional knowledge of French, Spanish, Mongolian and/or Russian is an asset
- Ideal candidate will be a team player, outgoing, energetic and a good communicator
Application deadline: August 7th, 2020
CESO is an equal opportunity employer.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.