Retail Sales Manager - Evergreen
Are you a retail professional with entrepreneurial drive and a passion for sustainable and locally-made products? Do you get excited about Ontario native flowers, plants and trees? Do you love educating customers, and providing the highest level of service? Evergreen is currently seeking a Retail Sales Manager to support the Evergreen Garden Market (EGM) located at Evergreen Brick Works.
The Retail Sales Manager thrives in a busy environment, enjoys sharing knowledge and connecting with others, and has a creative streak. We aren’t looking to maintain the status quo at EGM; we are ready to take our store to the next level through new partnerships, enhanced linkages to our programs and modernizing our service delivery through new online offerings.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For more than 25 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We’ve worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Retail Sales Manager is responsible for overseeing and supporting the day-to-day operations of EGM, which includes servicing customers, managing and supporting sales associates, and maintaining the store. The Retail Sales Manager will look for creative ways to enhance EGM’s offerings, improve customer service and modernize operations.
The Retail Sales Manager plays a critical role in bringing Evergreen’s vision of a mission-driven retail and educational garden centre to life. We seek to inspire others to live sustainably in their home and garden, and our team of enthusiastic, high-energy and knowledgeable staff are integral to achieving that goal.
- Lead by example to build team commitment to high standards of customer service
- Manage the efforts and activities of the retail sales associate team, in alignment with sales goals and revenue objectives
- Work in conjunction with Evergreen’s People & Culture team to recruit new staff, both permanent and seasonal
- Train associates on sales techniques, product knowledge, store activities, and established policies and procedures
- Positively reinforce successful performance and give respectful and encouraging coaching as needed
- Promote the importance of good internal communication and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values
- Work with Evergreen’s General Manager, and other members of the leadership team, to modernize store operations and enhance the connection between the store and Evergreen’s overall mission
- Look for creative was to create synergy between EGM’s offerings and Evergreen’s programs and mission, connecting with other departments as necessary
- Develop and create scalable business strategy
- Help guide a shift towards more online offerings
- Help to position EGM as an entrepreneurial launch pad and implement platform to guide start-ups
- Help to create and maintain a positive and vibrant store image
- Coordinate operational activities of the market including staffing, receiving shipments, product flow, merchandising (planograms), sales and markdowns, and store up-keep
- Ensure accurate monitoring and maintenance of inventories, the flow of merchandise, and weekly orders
- Ensure accurate cycle inventory counts and data collection
- Conduct sales forecasts, provide weekly and monthly status reports, and recommend and implement changes based on findings
- Accurately operate computerized Point of Sale (POS) system and handle related cash, when needed
- Create and maintain store standards, key performance indicators (KPIs), processes, and best practices
- Troubleshoot POS issues as needed
- Greet and assist customers in a manner that models exemplary conduct to other staff, including demonstrating add-on sales and describing technical information to customers
- Ensure all customer complaints are addressed and handled professionally, leaving the customer with a positive resolution
- Anticipate customer and store needs by constantly evaluating environment and customers for cues
- Respond to phone or email inquiries in a timely and customer-focused way
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Leadership. Mobilize and build strong teams. Lead by example. Inspire others to achieve.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of EG.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Innovation. Build new opportunities. Resourceful in the face of challenges. Focused on solutions. Prioritize learning and growth.
You have the following qualifications:
- A degree or diploma in horticulture, business, or a related field
- 3-5 years of retail experience, preferably a garden centre or a small-box/unique retail setting
- 2+ years of experience in a supervisory or managerial role in a retail setting
- Strong knowledge of plant material, particularly native plants
- Prior experience creating online presence and/or unique marketing campaigns for a retail setting
- Proven track record of exceptional customer service & entrepreneurship
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with customers and employees
- Ability to work well as a team player in a fast-paced, energetic environment
- Effective leadership skills, with a strong focus on mentoring and motivation of employees
- Proven ability to set and meet sales goals
- Open availability and flexibility to work nights, weekends, and store openings and closings to meet the needs of the store
- Experience using Sage 300 an asset
- Supervised by General Manager
- Supervises Evergreen Garden Market Retail Sales Associates
- Based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
- Working on site, directly with the public
- Working outdoors in inclement weather (summer heat, winter cold)
- Required to work days, evenings, and weekends as scheduled
- CSA approved safety shoes/boots are required
- Able to stand for extended periods of time in order to assist customers throughout the store
- Able to lift heavy objects (up to 25 lbs.) on a regular basis
- Full time, permanent
Application Close Date: March 9, 2021