Resource Development Manager - Blue Door Shelters
POSITION: Resource Development Manager
LOCATION: Newmarket/East Gwillimbury
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week
CLASSIFICATION: 1 Year Contract (End Date: August 31, 2020)
Blue Door is a not-for-profit registered charitable agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We have been an integral part of our community providing essential emergency housing services since 1982. Blue Door's mission is to provide safe and supportive emergency housing and services for people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. We serve all of York Region through Leeder Place for families, Porter Place for men, and Kevin's Place for youth.
Reporting to the Business Director, and working closely with the CEO, the Manager of Resource Development will provide support in all aspects of fund development with an emphasis on researching new fund development opportunities, preparing and writing funding and grant proposals for new and existing funding opportunities, coordinating events, and the stewardship of new and current donors.
• Post-secondary education in a related field.
• Quantifiable experience in a similar position.
• Demonstrated grant/proposal and technical writing skills.
• Proven experience in managing multiple projects.
• Knowledge of quality assurance, quality improvement, and fund development theory, principles, and practices.
• Knowledge of the housing/homelessness sector would be a strong asset.
• Ability to build effective working relationships with internal groups and external organizations and stakeholders on various projects
• Excellent communication (oral and written), time management, and organizational skills.
• Able to work independently but also as part of a team.
• Excellent problem-solving skills, research skills, and ability to follow through.
• Sound judgment, tact, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Possess computer skills with specific competence with spreadsheets, databases, etc.
• Familiarity with Outlook and Internet applications.
• Understanding and promotion of anti-oppressive practices.
• Valid Vulnerable Sector Screening Report from York Regional Police
Grant Management, Writing, Editing, and Reports
Works directly with the Business Director and CEO to develop and maintain all grant related deadlines, write and submit grant applications, and assist with writing required reports. The Resource Development Manager will:
• Undertake grant prospecting with governmental, private and corporate funding sources.
• Write, edit, and coordinate submission of all fund development and grant writing initiatives including assisting with conceptualizing, designing and preparing new programs, program proposals and related reports, and writing and submitting all grant proposals and funding applications and associated materials with the aim of securing and diversifying financial support from foundations, corporations, and government.
• Maintain grants and agreements through accurate record-keeping, documentation and file maintenance.
• Coordinate with respective grant point persons, ensuring awareness of application or report due dates and format, verification of application and reporting submission requirements.
• Maintain grant file storage system on Blue Door’s shared drive.
• Collaborate with Office Manager to maintain Blue Door’s donor and grant database to ensure accurate and timely reporting, including data entry and analysis.
• Collaborate with Finance Manager to generate financial budgets and reports as needed.
Management of Donor Development, including Strategy and Solicitations
• Monitors community trends and opportunities.
• Reads and reports data that will aid the agency in both policy and program development.
• Build Blue Door’s email list
• Collaborate with the Executive Assistant to coordinate and manage regular online and email campaigns through Blue Door’s electronic newsletters and social media sites.
• Manage all donor acknowledgement activities along with the Office Manager, including timely oral and written communication to donors, maintaining accurate donor records, gift management systems and informational reports.
• Build and maintain Blue Door’s donor and grant database to ensure accurate and timing reporting, including data entry and analysis.
• Develop an annual fundraising strategy and related activities to meet objectives, in coordination with the Business Director and CEO.
• Targeted email solicitations to cultivate previous year donors, and outreach to encourage new donors.
• Maintain accurate donor records, including tracking mechanisms to link specific donors to Blue Door campaigns and causes.
• Work with Office Manager to develop and manage acknowledgements and other means of donor appreciation.
Event Planning, Execution, and Evaluation
Works directly with the Business Director and CEO in planning and undertaking special events by Blue Door and third parties, including securing all in-kind donations for special events.
• Lead internal event planning to effectively deliver on all event elements within time and budget limits.
• Develop event budget, manage costs effectively.
• Coordinate sponsorship process; make sponsorship asks.
• Develop tiered sponsorship packages.
• Organize and manage all event details such as venue, food, entertainment, transportation, invitee list, special guests, equipment and promotional materials.
• Specify staff requirements and their activities.
• Collaborate with the Executive Assistant as relates to marketing and communication to promote and publicize the event.
• Proactively handle arising issues and troubleshoot any emerging problems on the event day.
• Conduct pre-and post-event evaluations and report on outcomes.
Additional Operational Assistance
• Works with the organization to reach strategic organizational objectives and goals.
• Creates activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement.
• Secure the proper information for ongoing dialogue, evaluation of current plan/activities, and strategic decision-making.
• Research new funding opportunities to meet the needs of programs and services.
• Assist in the creation and maintenance of an up-to-date data bank of funding opportunities relative to agency services, sustainable program capacity, and development.
• Represent the organization in relationships with select funders and sector stakeholders, as required.
• Help to ensure the required information is collected and reported promptly, consistent with organizational objectives.
• Other duties as assigned.
In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of York Region, we encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBT, members of visible minorities and women.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and Blue Door’s AODA Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All applications will be reviewed as received, and interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and resume on or before July 16, 2019 to:
Blue Door Shelters
Fax: (905) 898-6414