Residential Counsellor P/T Contract - Springboard
Springboard's mandate is to build stronger communities by helping youth and adults develop the skills they need to reach their full potential. As a charitable organization, we deliver innovative, professional and diverse programming by establishing partnerships between our clients and their community. Springboard’s program areas include community justice, employment and developmental services.
Internal/External Job Posting
Position Title: RESIDENTIAL COUNSELLOR
Department: Developmental Services
Location: Toronto, Ontario – Frank Drea House
Status: 1 Part – Time Contract (August 1st 2020– November 29th 2020)
Pay: $19.57 per hour
Vacancy Number: DS-U20-40
Available: August 1st 2020
Hours/Shifts: Saturday and Sunday 0000-0800
Schedules are subject to change to meet departmental needs
DS residential programs provide a home life skills training and transition planning to men with developmental disabilities/dual diagnosis, 18 years of age and older. The position encompasses the primary functions of shift coverage, supports and counselling, life skills facilitation, safety and security, crisis management, administrative, clerical, and facilities up-keep duties. The position involves shift work which entails 7 day, 24 hour coverage. Flexibility to cover shifts is required.
- Support and Counselling – Provide individuals with support and information as to a decision or course of action for his daily living activities, including but not limited to: hygiene, budgeting, cooking, nutrition, social skills and community, and achieving specific goals.
- Life skills Facilitation – provide life skills programming, in the residence and in the community that promotes learning for independent living.
- Community Outings/Escorts – provide supports for individuals to actively participate in community activities in a safe manner for up to 20 individuals.
- Conflict Management – manage challenging behaviours in a residential, community setting.
- Attend to crisis situation using a variety of strategies that reinforce positive behaviour and identify before, during and after behaviour through appropriate collection of objective and accurate information. Address or resolve concerns/problems and follow applicable policies, work procedures consistently, including but not limited to QBC and the principles of reinforcement, safe management techniques, in case of crisis or when dealing with challenging behaviour.
- Health and Safety – Foster a safe and healthy work environment for the residents and the staff as per policies, procedures and the law
- Administrative Duties - Provide clerical/reception and administrative support to the program.
- Post-Secondary diploma / degree in the Social Services field, e.g., i.e. BSW, BA, DSW, SSW.
- Strong knowledge in computer applications, i.e., MS Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Valid First Aid and Safe Management certifications.
- Minimum two (2) years of recent work related experience in Developmental Service sector in the following areas:
- Working directly with individuals with a developmental disability or dual diagnosis
- supports and counselling, life skills facilitation, community supports and safe management
- Computer knowledge and experience using technological teaching tools (Outlook)
- With thorough understanding of the Social Inclusion Act and the Act for the Supports of Persons with Developmental Disabilities (2008).
- Working knowledge of the Developmental Services Sector.
- Knowledge of community resources, both internal and external.
- Working knowledge and skills in using a computer and computer systems (e.g. MS Office and Outlook).
- Proven individual and group facilitation skills leading to individuals increasing independence in regards to independent living skills.
- Assessment skills required for both the delivery of service to individuals and daily operational/programming issues, including determination of suitability and risk.
- Program planning skills to implement, evaluate and modify new and existing programs, as needed.
- Effective crisis intervention skills to diffuse confrontational situations. Ability to work well under pressure to ensure minimal interruption in service delivery.
- Written communication skills in English, to communicate ideas, instructions and information in a clear, concise manner - adjust to the receivers needs for various levels of communication.
- Verbal skills, in English to communicate ideas, instructions and information in a clear concise manner; ability to adjust to the receivers needs of various levels of communication.
- Demonstrated use of core competencies in:
- Flexibility – Recognizes when and why an approach is not working and changes it
- Change Influencer – Builds the interest of others into change messages
Ability to communicate in French, verbally and in written form
Posting Date: Friday July 27, 2020
To be considered for employment at Springboard, applicants must be willing to undergo a police clearance/VSS, occupational medical assessment and provide both references and documentation of their credentials. Please apply on line through email@example.com. To be considered you must include the vacancy number in the subject line of your email while applying.
Deadline for Internal applicants: Friday Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:00 pm. Please provide your Cover Letter and Resume and a duly completed Application for Internal Transfer form (as applicable).
Deadline for External applicants: Friday Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:00 pm. Please provide your Cover Letter and Resume.
Resumes received after the above-stated deadline/s will be considered at the discretion of the hiring supervisor.
No phone calls please. Only persons selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying.
Springboard is committed to employment equity and fair and accessible employment practices. Applications are encouraged from those who reflect the diversity of our community. Accommodations will be provided for job applicant with disabilities, where needed and on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the vacant position.