Residential Counsellor, ECHO - Peel Children's Centre
9 month contract (40 hrs/week)
Peel Children's Centre is an accredited children’s mental health centre that provides a continuum of high quality mental health services for children, youth and their families who are experiencing or may experience serious emotional difficulties. Our services are provided in a dynamic, client-centred environment that values flexibility, accessibility and responsiveness.
Our Residential Treatment Program provides a safe, accepting, supportive environment for temporary out-of-home treatment of children experiencing serious emotional, behavioural, or relationship difficulties.
The Residential Counsellor is a member of a multidisciplinary team that has prime responsibility for providing treatment to clients in a residential setting and is assigned as a Primary Worker to a client and carries out responsibilities with other clients in the residence as assigned. The Residential Counsellor must ensure the safety and well-being of all clients in the Residence and must maintain the integrity of the treatment model for residential services in keeping with the Centre’s Mission Statement, values, clinical and management philosophies and Service Plan.
Semi-monthly salary range - $1,953 to $2,284 (5 step range)
This is a contract position of 40 hours per week, with an additional 4% in lieu of benefits and 4% in lieu of vacation.
The incumbent will:
- Respond to and support client’s unique mental health needs, within a therapeutic environment, in the context of a multi-disciplinary treatment plan;
- Have a thorough knowledge of mental health issues and the ability to apply behavioral skills;
- Use tact and judgment in a respectful manner and have the ability to apply these skills in a variety of situations;
- Be able to effectively follow clinical direction;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to client needs through a strength based approach;
- Have a proven understanding of a milieu environment and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Utilize high levels of oral and written communication skills, time management and critical thinking skills with a strong understanding of role boundaries;
- Have the ability to effectively assess, manage, design, and implement a crisis plan to ensure safety within the milieu setting;
Skills and Qualifications:
- A Child & Youth Worker diploma with a minimum of one year related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Exceptional interpersonal, teaming and conflict resolution skills;
- Basic computer literacy to operate computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and email software;
- A satisfactory vulnerable sector police records check pre-employment medical screening is required prior to the commencement of employment.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License (Full G Class) and First Aid Certification.
At Peel Children's Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building an increasingly diverse workforce. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply no later than October 1st, 2019.
If this position is of interest to you, please submit a cover letter and resume, referring to
“File # 19-051 – Residential Counsellor, ECHO (9 month contract)”, via email to email@example.com
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Peel Children's Centre will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process