Research Nurse - Women's Health in Women's Hands Community Health Centre
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands CHC, in partnership with McMaster University is looking for a highly motivated Research Nurse with 3-5 years of related experience for a full-time contract position. Experience in nursing is a requirement. Understanding of community-based health services delivery and knowledge of HIV/AIDS is an asset. The successful applicant will be responsible for the overseeing of several clinical research projects in collaboration with academic and community based researchers, service providers and communities impacted by HIV/AIDS.
The Centre offers the following opportunity for a focused, energetic, and skilled individual for the following contract position:
Full Time Contract Position
Start Date: ASAP
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands is a community health centre providing primary healthcare to racialized women from the African, Black, Caribbean, Latin American and South Asian communities in Toronto and surrounding municipalities. We are committed to working from an inclusive feminist, pro-choice, anti-racist, anti-oppression, and multilingual participatory framework in addressing the issue of access to healthcare for our mandated priority populations encompassing gender, gender identity, race, class, violence, sexual orientation, religion, culture, language, disability, immigration status and socio-economic circumstances.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate Community Advisory Board (CAB) meetings
- Facilitate community/academic and interagency linkages
- Contribute to instrument design
- Prepare research implementation/operational manuals
- Assist in the preparation and submission of protocols for ethics review
- Prepare study promotion materials
- Promote research studies in a variety of settings
- Develop and maintain good communications with ACB communities to support research studies
- Support research participants’ recruitment according to protocol specifications
- Implement surveys
- Collect biological samples from participants, including blood samples and genital samples requiring an internal exam
- Ship biological samples to labs at McMaster University
- Report and journal article writing
- Manage priorities and meet study deadlines
- Maintain and balance project budgets
- Ensure data quality, safety and ethical management
- Contribute to knowledge dissemination, translation and exchange
Skills and Qualifications include:
- Certification as a Registered Nurse in the Province of Ontario
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a recognized university or equivalent, a Masters degree in nursing is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in biological sample collection e.g. drawing of blood, collection of vaginal and cervical samples, etc.
- High level interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Outgoing personality with ability to reach out and maintain good community relations
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and as a member of a team
- Knowledge and experience in the use of computer software applications, including Microsoft Office programs, data collection and analysis software
- Demonstrated project management skills, including possession of conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills
- A firm understanding of research design and research ethics
- An understanding of the social, cultural, political and economic complexities embedded within HIV/AIDS and women’s health
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Health Centre offers a competitive salary along with a multidisciplinary team environment where work-life balance is valued and practiced.
To apply for this challenging opportunity in a dynamic organization please forward your CV and cover letter with subject line “Research Nurse” via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address the cover letter to the attention of:
Director, Research and Programs
Women's Health in Women's Hands Community Health Centre
2 Carlton Street, Suite 500
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3
Closing Date: August 7th, 2019 Please send a single file in MS Word or PDF format only
WHIWH is committed to reflecting the diversity of the communities it serves and we strongly encourage applicants who reflect Toronto’s ethnic and cultural diversity and our priority populations. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates
Accommodation will be provided on request
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE