Relief Resident Services Worker Overnight - The Redwood
The Redwood exists to support women and their children to live free from domestic abuse through the provision of safe and accessible services. As an organization, we demonstrate our commitment to our mission by working from a client-centered, feminist, anti-racism/anti-oppression framework and are committed to social change through education and advocacy.
We provide emergency shelter, a 24-hour crisis line, individual and group counselling/support for women and their children, transitional support and community intervention and prevention programs and services.
The Relief Resident Services Overnight works under the general supervision of the Associate Manager to provide support to women and children in the shelter. This is a Relief position with an opportunity for casual work on an on-call basis.
Tasks and Activities
- Answering the crisis calls
- Support in providing online counselling through Live Chat and Texting
- Complete intake and assessment
- Complete risk assessment & safety planning.
- Provide transition planning & assistance (from home to shelter, shelter to the community, shelter to shelter).
- Maintain appropriate and accurate file documentation and uphold the confidentiality of clients’ files, subject to legal and policy parameters.
- Provide accompaniment to legal, housing, Ontario Works, and other appointments as required supporting women and children.
- Provide crisis intervention and conflict resolution support.
- Ensure adherence to The Redwood’s Policies and Procedures and ensure appropriate documentation
- Adhere to all health and safety policies and procedures as outlined by the organization to minimize risk.
- Utilize computer software including case management database system, Microsoft applications as required.
- Provide follow up information and referrals as required.
- Conduct nightly security checks to ensure the physical safety of clients, staff, and facility.
- Perform other general duties as may be assigned, from time to time.
Education and Training
- Post-secondary education in Social Services or related field (College or University degree in Social Services or related field)
- Training in non-violent crisis intervention.
- Standard First Aid/ CPR certification.
- Good understanding of CPI.
- Good understanding of suicide prevention awareness, AODA, and harm reduction.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Professional communication skills; dedicated to team building.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Training or courses in a second language (asset).
- Fluent ability to operate computers using basic Microsoft Office features (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), internet, and social media.
- Completion of a Vulnerable Sector Screen.
- One (1) year experience working with survivors of gender-based violence and knowledge of women and child abuse trauma.
- Experience working within an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework with diverse communities.
- Experience working in a night shift is an asset.
- Work in a shared office environment.
- Interacts with residents, family members, staff, visitors, and any agencies (as required).
- Occasional travel outside for meetings, as assigned.
- Hours provided include overnight/awake hours (overnight hours mean those between 9 pm to 9 am); days provided include occasional weekdays and all weekends.
Supervision Received/ Reporting Line
The employee will receive regular supervision from the Associate Manager related to the operational tasks and activities assumed within the role.
Wage: $21.69 per hour.
The Redwood is committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
The closing date for this position is August 21, 2020. As submissions are reviewed on a frequent basis, early submission is encouraged.
We thank all interested applicants, but only those selected will be contacted. Please note all offers of employment at The Redwood are conditional upon the successful completion of a pre-hire background check. This may include anything up to and including a vulnerable sector screening (VSS) and/or reference checks.