Relief Personal Support Worker - LOFT Community Services
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring Relief Personal Support Workers. LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
To attend to the physical, cognitive, mental health and social/recreational needs in a way that enhances our clients’ dignity and personal empowerment, by:
- Assisting clients with various activities associated with daily living such as: laundry, grooming, personal hygiene, ambulation, toileting, meal preparation, feeding as needed, and shopping.
- Performing light housekeeping: making beds, dusting, sweeping and keeping clients living space clean and orderly. Note: May be exposed to second hand smoke while in residents unit.
- Escorting clients to appointments, visiting friends or participating in other social activities within the community, providing social support and facilitating interests in hobbies and recreational activities.
- Identifying changes in appearance/behaviours, reporting physical and mental health concerns, suicide ideation, unusual or exceptional occurrences and behaviours.
- Participation in service planning and development of personal goals for clients.
- Providing support with behaviours arising from cognitive issues, intervening in conflicts between clients, and contacting appropriate emergency services in crisis situations.
- Maintaining all records of service and ensuring supplies and equipment are readily available.
- 2 person transfers with the use of a hoyer lift, as well as in bed transfers/repositioning.
*Note: Staff will be required to work in residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke. In addition, a satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Completion of post-secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate).
- Experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive, addiction and responsive behavioural challenges who have been longer term hospital patients.
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach.
- Knowledge of social services and community services for seniors.
- Knowledge of and experience in delivering direct services in accordance with psychosocial recovery’ principles.
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management.
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner.
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, hoyer, etc.).
- First Aid and CPR certification.
- Good oral and written skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework.
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: email@example.com
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities
Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-deserving communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
PLEASE INCLUDE “RELIEF PSW - TORONTO” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF ANY EMAILS.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled