Relief Food and Nutrition Worker - The Redwood
The Redwood exists to support women and their children to live free from domestic abuse through the provision of safe and accessible services. As an organization, we demonstrate our commitment to our mission by working from a client-centered, feminist, anti-racism/anti-oppression framework and are committed to social change through education and advocacy.
We provide emergency shelter, a 24-hour crisis line, individual and group counselling/support for women and their children, transitional support and community intervention and prevention programs and services.
The Relief Food and Nutrition worker works under the general supervision of the Associate manager (RS), to provide healthy and nutritious meals for women and families in the shelter and ensure that the kitchen runs smoothly and complies with safety regulations. In delivering food services related activities, The Relief Food and Nutrition worker will collaborate with their supervisor, other team members, and clients.
This is a Relief position with an opportunity for casual work on an on-call basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing, cooking, and serving healthy lunches, dinners and snacks with respect to the Canada Food guide and are in accordance with shelter standards nutritional guidelines; and ensures that the variety and quantity meet the diverse needs of the resident clients.
- Participate in compliance with hygiene and safety standards of the City of Toronto in food preparation and food storing processes. This includes labeling, storage, and disposal of food supplies.
- Support in maintaining all appropriate records, files, inventory checks, and meal plans related to meal plans.
- Occasionally support, plan and prepare meals for in-house events (i.e. board meeting, etc.) and participate in delivering outdoor buffet-style barbecue for residents during the summer months, as required and during any holiday celebrations.
- Collaborate with Resident Services to best meet the needs of clients related to a meal or dietary issues, as assigned.
- Ensure the cleanliness and compliance with safety and hygiene standards in the kitchen, dining room, food storage areas, and when handling garbage containers.
- Ensure cleanliness of all food services related to laundry.
- Able to work within a team but also independently.
- College diploma in hospitality or other culinary schools with 3-5 years experience working in Food and Beverage industry, particularly in food production.
- Food handler certification
- Certification of health and safety standards and guidelines in the food and beverage industry, acknowledged by the City of Toronto, certification in food safety would be an asset.
Experience and Training:
- Standard First Aid/ CPR certification.
- Experience of working within an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework with diverse communities.
- Able to stand for a long duration of time.
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Adhere to all policies, procedures, routines, and requirements of The Redwood.
- Abide by The Redwood’s Code of Conduct.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to occasionally handle inquiries from upset or irate people and maintain a professional relationship with clients and coworkers.
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
- Work in a kitchen environment with appliances and utensils (i.e. hot burners, fryers, grillers, open flame, and knives)
- This job may demand long working hours in a fast-paced environment to prepare and complete the day’s meals for shelter residents.
- Interacts with residents, staff, and visitors.
- Occasional travel to purchase materials for the food menu, as required.
- Available to work evenings, weekdays and/or weekends, as well as any shifts. Shift timing will be anywhere between 10.30am - 7.30pm.
Wage: $18.81 per hour.
The Redwood is committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
As submissions are reviewed on a frequent basis, early submission is encouraged.
We thank all interested applicants, but only those selected will be contacted. Please note all offers of employment at The Redwood are conditional upon the successful completion of a pre-hire background check. This may include anything up to and including a vulnerable sector screening (VSS) and/or reference checks.