Relief/Casual Child & Youth Worker - Peel Children's Centre
RELIEF/CASUAL CHILD & YOUTH WORKER
RESIDENTIAL / RESPITE/ DAY TREATMENT
Shifts: Days, Evenings & Nights
File # 19-044
Peel Children’s Centre is looking for committed and passionate Child & Youth Workers with an interest in mental health to provide services to children and youth in residential, respite and day treatment classroom environments. As this is a casual position, shifts are based on program needs and regular hours per week are not guaranteed.
Peel Children's Centre is an accredited children’s mental health centre that provides a continuum of high quality mental health services for children, youth and their families who are experiencing or may experience serious emotional difficulties. Our services are provided in a dynamic, client-centered environment that values flexibility, accessibility and responsiveness.
As a relief staff working within our residential, respite, and day treatment classroom programs in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, you will play an important role in the implementation of treatment plans while ensuring the safety and well-being of all clients. This position will require familiarity with trauma informed care and attachment. Our residences are staff operated by Child and Youth Counsellors working 8 to 12 hour shifts. This position will also require support in day treatment classroom settings, as well as respite support to clients in their home and within the community.
- Hourly relief rate for any day or evening shift worked is $21.69 per hour
- Hourly rate for any overnight shift worked is $20.40 per hour
- 4% base pay in lieu of benefits and 4% vacation pay
Professional training in understanding and managing aggressive behaviour (UMAB) as well as other professional development opportunities will be provided.
- Respond to and support client’s unique mental health needs, within a therapeutic environment, in the context of a multi-disciplinary treatment plan;
- Use tact and judgment in a respectful manner and have the ability to apply these skills in a variety of situations;
- Effectively follow clinical direction while maintaining the integrity of the treatment model for clients in keeping with the Centre’s Mission Statement, values, clinical and management philosophies and Service Plan.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to client needs through a strength based approach;
- Transportation of clients as needed
- Utilize high levels of oral and written communication skills, time management and critical thinking skills with a strong understanding of role boundaries;
- Assess, manage, design, and implement a crisis plan to ensure safety within the milieu setting
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a Child and Youth Worker diploma or a three-year Community College diploma in a related field with a minimum of one year related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and eligibility for membership in the appropriate professional association;
- Must Have a valid Ontario Driver’s license (Full G Class), relevant insurance and use of a vehicle with a comfort in driving clients throughout the Peel region (surrounding areas) when needed
- Must Have Valid First Aid Certificate;
- Ability to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis.
- A satisfactory vulnerable sector police records check and pre employment medical screening is required prior to the commencement of employment.
- Have the ability to effectively assess, manage, design, and implement a crisis plan to ensure safety within the milieu setting;
- Have a proven understanding of a milieu environment and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Have a thorough knowledge of mental health issues and the ability to apply behavioral skills
At Peel Children's Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building an increasingly diverse workforce. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply no later than August 23, 2019.
If this position is of interest to you, please submit a cover letter and resume, referring to
“File # 19-044 – Relief Child & Youth Worker Positions”, via email to email@example.com
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Peel Children's Centre will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process