Registered Practical Nurse - LOFT Community Services
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
As a member of an interdisciplinary team, you will be expected to ensure the safety and security of the resident environment, to practice in accordance with College of Nurses of Ontario professional standards, and the policies and procedures as defined by LOFT Community Services. The RPN will be responsible for working with individuals from diverse backgrounds, contributing to Enhanced Specialized Assisted Living Program development, participating in clinical supervision; and providing support to the physical, cognitive, mental health and social/recreational needs of older adults and seniors in a way that enhances their dignity and personal empowerment.
The RPN will also be responsible for:
- Identifying changes in appearance/behaviours, reporting physical and mental health concerns, unusual or exceptional occurrences and behaviours.
- Participating in service planning and development of personal goals for clients to transition to their permanent discharge location.
- Providing support with behaviours arising from cognitive issues, intervening in conflicts between residents, and contacting appropriate emergency services in crisis situations.
- Maintaining all records of service and ensuring supplies and equipment are readily available.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario and able to practice without restrictions
- Medication Administration Certification or completion of an RPN education preparation program that includes medication administration
- Experience with vulnerable older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive, addiction and responsive behavioural challenges who have been longer term hospital patients;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Knowledge of social services and community services for adults and seniors
- Knowledge of and experience in delivering direct services in accordance with psychosocial ‘recovery’ principles
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management; Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, Hoyer, etc.)
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources,
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Upon request, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994 to discuss your accommodation requirements.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “Relief RPN - PV” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled