Registered Nurse - Covenant House Toronto
Covenant House helps youth ignite their potential and reclaim their lives. As Canada’s largest agency serving youth who are homeless, trafficked or at risk, we offer the widest range of 24-7 services to about 350 young people each day.
As a national leader, we educate and advocate for long-term change to improve the lives of vulnerable youth. This includes influencing public policy, leading awareness and prevention programs and continually building and sharing our knowledge. As a learning organization, we strive for excellence and programs with impact.
More than a place to stay, we provide life-changing care with unconditional love and respect. We meet youth’s immediate needs and then we work together to achieve their future goals. We offer housing options, health and well-being support, training and skill development, and ongoing care once youth move into the community.
Thanks to our donors, who contribute almost 80 per cent of our $33 million annual operating budget, we are able to deliver these comprehensive programs and services.
Since 1982, Covenant House has supported more than 95,000 young people.
View Our Culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFlhDTljow0&feature=youtu.be
Overview: In this position the candidate will practice within Covenant House Toronto’s healthcare clinic and affiliated Covenant House program areas, serving at-risk, homeless and trafficked youth. The clinic is nurse-led and includes an inter professional team of registered nurses, family physicians, psychiatrists, a nurse practitioner, an adolescent medicine specialist, and a mental health and substance use counselor who see youth for a wide range of health-related matters including: mental health challenges, pregnancy, sexual health, acute and chronic illness, transgender care, health promotion and disease prevention, and substance use. We utilize a trauma informed, strength based and harm reduction model of healthcare delivery.
- Availability to work flexible hours including days and evenings.
- Providing health assessment, intervention, education and follow up care
- Performing nursing acts and delegated controlled acts in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario practice standards, and the policies and procedures of Covenant House and the Health Care Services department
- Performing triage for physicians/psychiatrists and assisting providers in care delivery
- Participation, as a member of the multidisciplinary case management team, in development of an individualized plan of care for youth
- Providing internal and external linkages, resources and advocacy
- Working with diverse communities, particularly those that are marginalized
- Crisis prevention and intervention
- Participation in community health promotion by assessing health needs, implementing and evaluating programs based on identified need and teaching clients and team members about best practice and evidence based care.
- Developing, supervising and evaluating clinical placements nursing students in consultation with their specific educational facilities
- Participating in team meetings, professional development, and supervisory sessions as required
- Assisting in the general duties of running a clinic
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Bachelor of Science in nursing degree
- Preference will be given to candidates with primary care experience, preferably working with youth who have experienced homelessness, sex trafficking or those facing barriers to accessing health care
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience practicing within a strengths-based, trauma-informed, harm reduction framework
- Knowledge of mental health disorders and substance use
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume online through our careers page at https://covenanthouse.applytojob.com/ no later than October 18, 2019.
We thank all applicants however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, Covenant House is committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who represent diverse communities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Covenant House Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Covenant House recruitment process.