Recreation Specialist - Canadian Mental Health Association, York and South Simcoe
Posting Date: December 24, 2020
Closing Date: January 31, 2021
Message about our hiring and operating practices during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Canadian Mental Health York Region and South Simcoe branch (CMHA-YRSS) is continuing to provide much-needed mental health services. As an organization, we are protecting our staff through supporting either working from home, or physical distancing, and other public health directives for essential services staff working on-site. Rest assured that your well-being is our top priority and we have appropriate health and safety measures in place at each stage of the recruiting process and throughout our operations.
We are looking for a Recreation Specialist in our Flexible Supports Program!
As we continue to grow our team, we are looking for a Recreation Specialist to join our passionate, dedicated, and “BRAVE” team! If you are a professional who is interested in supporting clients in the community who are experiencing significant challenges with activities of daily living, and functioning across all domains, than this position is for you!
Closing Date: January 31, 2021
Permanent: Full-time, 35 Hours per Week, Evening Hours and Weekends may be required
Comprehensive Health Benefits: Excellent Benefits Package: Full Extended Health & Dental, Life Insurance, EAP, STD, LTD, & Pension Plan. Generous paid time off including vacation, sick, personal days.
Competition #: 2020-079
Location: In accordance with current public health directives, training will be available both remotely (i.e., via teleconference and videoconferencing technologies) as well as onsite while respecting physical distancing. During the current COVID-19 outbreak, work can be completed primarily from home with equipment provided by CMHA. Once public health directives are lifted, the Recreation Specialist will be working primarily in our Aurora Office (15150 Yonge Street, Suite 201, Aurora, ON L4G 1M2) and will be required to travel within York Region & South Simcoe.
The Recreation Specialist works in partnership with the client and the Flexible Supports Team to assess, plan, develop, coordinate and provide treatment, rehabilitation and support. The Recreational Specialist conducts comprehensive assessments to determine client’s needs, strengths and interests in a range of leisure-related areas and works with the Flexible Supports Team to coordinate and organize recreational events and opportunities for clients.
In addition to compliance with all organizational policies and procedures, the incumbent is also expected to behave ethically, demonstrate competence in effective communication and team building, demonstrate effectiveness in working in a collaborative environment, and demonstrate confidence in decision-making and in building relationships.
The Recreation Specialist may be assigned to different programs as required based on need.
- A degree or diploma in the health or social services or behavioural supports education
- Current Registration with the OCSWSSW or a regulatory body under the Regulated Health Professions Act; cannot be in the qualifying stages
- Degree plus four years OR diploma plus six years or more experience in a community-based organization working with adults with serious mental illness in the community
- A second language (Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, Italian, Persian, Punjabi, Korean, Tamil, Urdu) reflecting the local community is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of empowerment-oriented case management philosophies and practices as demonstrated by two or more years experience in this area
- Knowledge of systemic issues such as poverty, unemployment, stigma and the isolation felt by individuals with serious mental illness and their families
- Knowledge of the Ontario Mental Health Act, mental health reform principles, the Substitute Decisions Act, the Health Care Consent Act and PHIPA requirements
- Extensive knowledge of supports and services in York Region, including formal and informal resources
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office and Outlook
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, a minimum $1,000,000 third party liability insurance and proof that insurance covers use of personal vehicle to transport clients
- A satisfactory and current Vulnerable Sector Screening
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to the job. This information is not constructed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job.
This position reports to and is supervised by the Manager, People and Teams on the Flexible Supports Program.
Working Conditions: Office work, community settings, meetings at client homes and travel with clients
In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA-York Region and South Simcoe?
We are a team committed to our vision of mental health support for all. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and that our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement, and sustain innovative, evidence based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We have been a National Nonprofit Employer of Choice for five consecutive years as well as a recipient of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email AODA@cmha-yr.on.ca
Application Procedures: (For our website)
If you are interested in this opportunity, click on the “Apply Now” button above and proceed to upload your cover letter and resume.
Complete the application form and submit the following:
1) Resume (PDF or Word)
2) Cover letter with 300 words or less and tell us why you would want this role and why you should be considered for the position (PDF or Word)
Application Procedures: (For 3rd Party websites)
If you are interested in this opportunity, please visit our website at https://cmha-yr.on.ca/get-involved/careers-placements/ and click on Current Opportunities, and click on Apply Now and proceed to upload your cover letter and resume.
CMHA-YRSS supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome all applicants including persons with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.