RAAM Counsellor & Outreach – Niagara - De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre
RAAM Counsellor & Outreach – Niagara
(Full Time Position, Niagara Region)
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre’s (DAHC) Mental Health & Addictions Program is seeking a full-time Addictions Counselor for the Rapid Access to Addiction Medicine (RAAM) clinics in the Niagara Region The successful candidate will collaborate with members of the interdisciplinary team to provide mental health and addictions one-on-one and group counseling services to the patients of both the RAAM clinic and DAHC. The MHA counselor will provide counseling that is rooted in culture, holistic, trauma-informed, and strengths based approaches.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Have knowledge of Historical Trauma and Intergenerational trauma of Indigenous Peoples.
- Demonstrate sound knowledge and experience working with Indigenous Peoples in a clinical setting within an Addictions and Mental Health context.
- Ability to effectively manage disruptive behavior and de-escalation in crisis situations.
- Experience working with and addressing addictions, concurrent disorders, and active substance users
- Knowledge and ability to integrate wholistic based and evidence based practice into the planning and evaluation of client and program intervention from a trauma informed lens.
- Ability to complete intakes, provide clinical assessments and interventions as needed, develop treatment plans, referrals and discharge.
- Consult with and provide information to DAHC staff regarding clients and assist with the development of care plans for complex clients.
- Participate in case conferences for client plans of care with external agencies and services where appropriate
- Maintain clinical records and data compilation utilizing the electronic medical record according to requirements of the DAHC.
- Respect the rights, dignity and feelings of others to create a safe and respectful work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and violence.
- Established self-care routine and supports.
- Other duties may be assigned by team lead &/or management.
Statement of Qualifications
Undergraduate and/or Master degree in Social Work, Mental Health & Addictions, Psychology or Sociology, from a recognized university preferred. College Diploma and related experience will be considered
In addition to requirements for the position, the ideal candidate would also possess some of the following qualifications:
- 1+ years experience working with individuals with complex needs
- Experience working with and extensive knowledge of Indigenous Peoples language, culture, customs and traditions.
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre has developed a compensation philosophy that will allow the organization to retain, motivate and develop talented people who share our values and contribute to our success.
Competitive Wages & Salaries - Merit of Performance Increases -Health Insurance Plan - Health Benefits - Income Protection Benefits - Paid Leaves - Pension - Employer Health Tax
Please submit your resume and cover letter with the job title in the subject line to:
678 Main Street East
Hamilton, Ontario L8M1K2
Attention: Human Resources
Nya:weh to all applicants.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Preference is given to equal candidates of Indigenous descent in order to better meet the needs of the community.