Public Relations Manager - International Justice Mission Canada
Are you the candidate we are seeking?
Do you have a passion for the mission that Christ gave His Church and a desire to use your skill set and knowledge to help protect the poor from violence in developing countries? Does the idea of being a public relations manager as part of a marketing and communications team excite you? If so, you may be the candidate we are seeking!
International Justice Mission is a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. IJM partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. International Justice Mission Canada shares this mission. The largest organization of its kind, IJM combats slavery, sex trafficking, sexual violence, police brutality, property grabbing and other forms of violence in 18 communities throughout Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia.
The Manager of Public Relations is responsible for media, public relations and related communications activities on behalf of the organization. The role requires an individual who will identify, pitch, manage, and support media opportunities for IJM Canada, as well as the organization’s leadership and staff. The individual in the role will work within a development team in a Christian non-profit organization reaching out to both Christian and secular Canadians. The individual must comfortably present the IJM message and Christian foundation for the work, being able to ensure substantive Christian content.
This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations. In the absence of the Director, this position reports to the Vice President of Development and Marketing.
The responsibilities for this position include:
1) RAISE THE PROFILE OF THE ORGANIZATION
- Proactively secure media coverage of IJM Canada with local, regional and national Christian and secular media outlets, develop relationships with target media outlets and journalists, and respond to media requests;
- Develop and pitch editorial content for long-lead publications and actively pursue editorial opportunities;
- Identify and develop relationships with Christian and secular influencers; support IJM Canada staff in their development of relationships with influencers. In collaboration with Manager of Marketing and Communications, identify and onboard influencers for marketing campaigns;
- In collaboration with Manager of Marketing and Communications, develop joint public relations and marketing campaigns with outcomes that meet both public relations and marketing objectives;
- Develop and maintain, online and in print, press kits, fact sheets, messaging documents, brochures, info sheets, media briefs, pitch letters, etc.;
- Develop and maintain a database of media contacts pertinent to IJM Canada; and
- Monitor trends in public relations tools and applications and apply that knowledge on behalf of IJM Canada.
2) SUPPORT LEADERSHIP AND STAFF
- Prepare IJM Canada leadership for media inquiries and interviews with both Christian and secular media;
- Support IJM Canada leadership and staff in development of content for presentations, speeches, and other public appearances;
- Ensure IJM Canada staff are informed and resourced with communications and messaging about all activities related to IJM Canada’s work, including communicating about the organization’s Christian identity; and
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, secure speaking engagements for IJM Canada leadership on high-profile platforms, both Christian and secular.
3) REPUTATION MANAGEMENT
- Conduct media scans and audits of mentions to track IJM Canada brand; monitor social, economic, political trends that could affect IJM Canada brand and recommend appropriate response;
- In consultation with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, develop crisis communications and issues management messaging; and
- In consultation with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, leverage public relations and media relations initiatives to advance government relations priorities.
4) ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain public relations budget;
- Maintain contracts for service with press release service, media monitoring service, and other vendors;
- Track and report data relating to performance of public relations initiatives; and
- Create and maintain strategy documents to achieve public and media relations objectives.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, social sciences or related field;
- 5-7 years experience in public relations, including proven track record in securing media coverage in local, regional, and national media, both Christian and secular;
- Proven track record in building and launching successful, holistic public relations campaigns with KPIs;
- Ability to support senior leadership team and staff in creation of content for presentations and speaking engagements;
- Proven track record preparing senior leadership and staff for media interviews;
- Excellent writing skills, including demonstrated ability to create content for long-lead publications or Op-Eds;
- Experience developing relationships with target media outlets, journalists, and influencers; and
- Experience developing messaging briefs and supporting crisis communications.
- Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Ability to communicate, with personal conviction, the spiritual foundation of the organization through various means;
- Diplomatic bridge-builder that drives toward solutions—ability to identify priorities and align cross-functional teams around shared goals;
- Strategic, action-oriented, self-starter with strong initiative;
- Adept at creative problem solving;
- Proven ability to develop relationships with external stakeholders;
- Bilingualism is an asset; and
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects at one time.
Why IJM Canada?
- We offer a generous compensation plan;
- We offer the chance to work in an engaged and positive work culture where employees are valued;
- We offer coaching, professional and personal development, and staff care;
- We offer the opportunity to make a difference in the world;
- We are more than a workplace. We strive to be a community of spiritual formation, helping our staff work out God’s call to justice in their lives.
- Contract position;
- Position reports to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations;
- Position based at IJM Canada headquarters in London, Ontario; and
- Applications accepted until June 6, 2019 – target start date July 2019 with anticipated end date in July 2020. We thank all applicants for their submission however, only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
- IJM Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply, please send Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
International Justice Mission Canada
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 336, STN B
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how it is relevant to your involvement with IJM Canada. The statement can either be incorporated into your cover letter or submitted as a separate document. It should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.).