Prospect Research Officer - Jewish General Hospital Foundation
The Jewish General Hospital Foundation is seeking a Prospect Research Officer to develop and lead the prospect research and pipeline management function as part of our continued efforts to build life-long engaged relationships for the Foundation with key constituents.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives, the Prospect Research Officer will provide strategic and actionable information to drive donor development efforts to meet revenue goals, while ensuring active pipeline management through monitoring, analysis, and reporting. While the primary focus of this newly created role is research in support of Major Gifts, this position also supports the Events team with corporate sponsorship research, and the President & CEO with research in support of senior volunteer leadership identification and recruitment.
About the Jewish General Hospital
The Jewish General Hospital (JGH) is a 637-bed McGill University teaching hospital renowned for the excellence of its healthcare services and the caliber of its medical and research staff. As one of Quebec’s leading acute-care hospitals, providing general and specialized care to a diverse patient population, the JGH plays a vital role in the Quebec healthcare system. The Hospital is recognized as a Centre of Excellence in oncology, cardiology, emergency medicine, family medicine, obstetrics-gynecology, and thrombosis and anticoagulation. It is a national leader in the field of robot-assisted surgery, with the most surgeons performing the greatest number of operations in the widest range of medical specialties anywhere in the country.
Through its internationally-renowned Segal Cancer Centre, the JGH is at the forefront of the development of personalized medicine in Canada that aims to ensure that patients receive therapies that are tailored to their particular DNA. The Centre is also a national leader in immunotherapy, which seeks to harness the patient's own immune system to fight cancer.
The Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research (LDI) is the research arm of the Jewish General Hospital. Founded in 1969, the LDI has a roster of more than 200 researchers, and it is an important North American biomedical research institute. LDI researchers have made major breakthroughs in the areas of HIV/AIDS, aging, cancer and genetics. Researchers at the LDI are awarded approximately $40 million in research grants from external sources each year. This places the LDI at or near the top of the list in funding per researcher in Quebec’s hospital‑affiliated research institutions.
The JGH is located in one of Canada's most culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods and cares for patients of many ethnic and religious backgrounds from across Quebec, as well as parts of Eastern Ontario and the Maritimes.
The Hospital’s success has most recently been highlighted by Newsweek Magazine, which rated the Jewish General Hospital as the number one hospital in Quebec, the fourth in Canada and among the top 100 globally.
About The Jewish General Hospital Foundation
The Jewish General Hospital Foundation’s mission is to advance health care and medical research for the people of Quebec by supporting Montreal’s Jewish General Hospital. The Foundation provides essential assistance to the hospital in order to enhance its extraordinary patient care, to further scientific discovery and to acquire the most recent and innovative medical equipment.
The Foundation team, comprised of close to 40 professionals, partners with inspired members of the community to implement a wide variety of fundraising initiatives to achieve ambitious goals. Community involvement has been an intrinsic aspect of the JGH’s activities since the day the hospital opened. Donors and benefactors at all income levels, from all walks of life and from a multitude of ethnic and religious backgrounds have been instrumental in enabling the Jewish General Hospital to upgrade its services to patients on an ongoing basis.
The 2018-2019 fiscal year was yet another example of what the combination of a fabulous brand, devoted stakeholders, generous donors and passionate leaders can accomplish. It was a remarkable fundraising year for the JGH Foundation, generating over $40 million from annual direct mail programs, major gift Campaigns, Legacy gifts, Tribute funds as well as fundraising signature, community and third-party Events.
Additional Background and Resources
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Prospect Research Officer will have responsibilities in the following areas:
- Proactively identify and rate major gift prospects using internal information sources and leads (i.e. signature events) and external sources of publicly available information.
- Monitor community news, developments, activities and events to identify potential individuals and organizations that will support the Hospital.
- Conceptualize, develop and implement proactive prospecting methodologies to identify potential major gift donors.
- Collaborate with a team of major gift professionals to identify and qualify prospects and build appropriate strategies to capture giving potential.
Prospect Research and Analysis:
- Using a broad spectrum of sources, research, organize and evaluate the financial capacity, philanthropic interest and affinity of potential donors and leadership volunteers.
- Prepare concise and thorough written confidential prospect research snapshots, profiles and reports to support the Development team.
- Complete special ad-hoc research projects to support donor development and fundraising strategies.
- Conduct ongoing media scanning to monitor relevant news, people, events, issues, trends within and beyond our communities that impact our fundraising strategies to provide timely, actionable information and insights.
Prospect and Pipeline Administration:
- Act as a leader and champion of database integrity in prospect and proposal data entry and maintenance for the Development team and fundraising volunteers.
- Create and maintain research and pipeline tools, and templates as required.
- Identify and report on key metrics and KPIs.
- Enter and maintain research and prospect information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Play a key role in ensuring strategic, effective and timely assessment of moves management at each stage of the fundraising cycle and in supporting the alignment of prospects and fundraisers.
- Review, maintain and make recommendations on prospect research tools, subscriptions and services.
- Maintain an awareness of best practices and actively seek out new trends in prospect research, management and pipeline development through ongoing professional development and networking.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and at least 3 years of experience in a similar position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Abilities in French will be considered an asset.
- Passionate about healthcare philanthropy and inspired to apply a laser like focus to major gift fundraising as part of a dedicated, donor centred team.
- Naturally curious to surface leads, opportunities, ideas, forge connections and identify trends.
- Understanding of prospect research techniques and demonstrated direct or related experience in compiling and synthesizing information from many sources to identify and evaluate prospects to support strategy formulation and decision making at all stages of the pipeline.
- Exceptional initiative, strategic thinking, analytical and problem solving skills required to analyze, synthesize and interpret data to make connections for actionable insight.
- Demonstrated direct or related experience in prospect management including prospect identification, moves management, clearance and general pipeline analysis, evaluation and forecasting.
- Experience with the implementation and management of data analytics techniques and reporting, preferably related to pipeline development and management.
- Highly collegial and collaborative team player.
- Ability to work independently to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of the Internet and Microsoft Office suite software.
- Knowledge of Raiser Edge gift management software is an asset.
For More Information
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of the Jewish General Hospital Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Sylvie Battisti, Vice President, Search + Talent by email at JGHFOfficerPR@kcitalent.com
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Please send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by August 31, 2020
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
JGH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and accessible work environment.