Property Manager - Metropolitan United Church
METROPOLITAN UNITED CHURCH
Metropolitan United Church in downtown Toronto is a vibrant urban church that has served its congregation and the community for over 200 years. It has a rich history of worship and music along with the many programs offered on a daily basis with strong values of social justice.
The stakeholders are the congregation who come from all over the GTA and beyond to the many people and groups who rent the facilities. From social support groups to weddings to major concerts and film shoots, Metropolitan welcomes a wide range of clientele.
Metropolitan is a heritage cathedral and has just completed a major renovation with major HVAC and WIFI system upgrades. We are looking to modernize our facility management of the approx. 30,000 sq. ft. church and the city block where we are situated. We continue to have exciting plans for the property and are looking to grow our rental opportunities with our new spaces. How the building looks and presents itself is key for attracting rental clients and generating revenue. Good housekeeping and customer service standards will be expected. To learn more please visit www.metunited.ca
The person we are seeking
We are looking for a full-time, skilled and dynamic Property Manager. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership in facility and care staff management and possess excellent communication and people skills. You will be a self starter and a collaborative team player who will lead the care staff by example. You are a problem solver and can prioritize work plans to get the work done.
The Property Manager for Metropolitan United Church assumes primary responsibility to oversee the church’s facility operations, grounds, and manage staff. You will be responsible for the building’s maintenance, security, safety and appearance.
This position is responsible for leading and managing the property team; inspecting, maintaining and repairing the mechanical, electrical, plumbing (including sump pump) and HVAC systems to ensure optimal operating results. You will manage the various trades we engage with to maintain our facility and you are able to prioritize work plans to deadline. The goal is to create a welcoming environment and safe facility while interacting closely with staff, congregants, rental clients and the public.
Our location and size in downtown Toronto create a number of challenges. This role will work closely with our community services team in dealing with the vulnerable population on the property.
This Property Manager reports to the Director of Administration and works in close collaboration with the Property Committee. The property manager will work closely with the senior ministerial staff to meet their needs for various forms of worship services, weddings and memorials.
While the position has flexible hours, it does require some Sundays with some availability on evenings and weekends. You will attend all necessary meetings and will be on call for any building emergencies.
- Maintain the building furnishings, equipment and grounds, in clean safe, working order
- Supervise property staff, setting work plans, scheduling and enforcing customer service standards
- Create and manage a daily property log
- Implement and maintain maintenance schedules for building systems
- Implement and maintain and keep records for weekly, monthly and yearly cleaning and maintenance schedules
- Coordinate logistics for room set up and use according to the church calendar
- Develop and manage the property budget, planning and forecasting in collaboration with the Director of Administration and Property Chair
- Understand HVAC, electrical and plumbing, security and fire systems
- Participate on the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Keep and track inventory of property supplies
- Set and enforce housekeeping and cleaning standards
- Recommend and write protocols, reports and keep property manuals updated
- Lead Health and Safety initiatives (monthly inspections) and ensuring compliance will all safety and security protocols
- Recommend and follow best practices for facility management, improvements and efficiencies
- Coordinate maintenance and repair work
- Source trades as needed and negotiate with contractors for services
- Review of contracts to ensure fiscal responsibility and review scope of service
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-5 years experience in facility and people management
- Work experience in building and grounds maintenance
- Excellent project management skills
- Knowledge of alarm and fire safety systems
- Knowledge of current audio & visual technology and lighting for services and events
- Knowledge of building systems including electrical, mechanical and HVAC
- Able to understand and run computer programs for control systems
- Knowledge of the OH&S Act
- Knowledge of current cleaning protocols and equipment
- Certification in Health and Safety, WHMIS, First Aid, AODA would be an asset
- Experience in a church environment would be an asset
- Knowledge of unique items relating to heritage buildings such a stained glass, slate and copper roofing plus experience in dealing with Heritage Toronto and grants would be an asset
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds, move and set up tables and chairs
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) along with strong customer service skills in dealing with all stakeholders
- Be attuned to the religious ethos of the organization
- Experience in the religious non-profit sector would be an asset
Metropolitan United church is an equal opportunity employer. To apply please submit a covering letter telling us why you are the right person for Metropolitan along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31, 2020.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful applicant must be willing to complete a police check and comply with all Metropolitan policies.