Project Officer - The SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation is seeking a Project Officer to join our rapidly growing international organization dedicated to improving the digital opportunity, safety and citizenship of users at risk around the world.
As the Project Officer, you will work at the heart of the MENA CSO Safety & Resilience project, which aims to make a sustainable improvement in the integrated security of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in 6+ counties in the MENA region. The SecDev Foundation is leading the digital security component of the effort, implementing the SecDev developed CyberSTAR (Cyber Security Training, Audit, and Response) methodology, as part of a wider holistic security program for CSOs.
The candidate will play a broad and key role in supporting the project’s overall planning, coordination, and management while actively contributing to the technical digital security components by taking part in digital safety audits, policy development and trainings. Fluently bilingual in Arabic and English they will work closely with the project team, Foundation HQ colleagues and external partners to support the project’s quality implementation through closely monitoring project deliverables and country-level workplans. You will support the project through ongoing knowledge management and monitoring & evaluation work, through the development, adaptation and translation of methodology and reporting documents to keep the project team informed on overall progress, opportunities and risks. You will also assist with project administration and operations to ensure adherence to donor compliance and SecDev Foundation policies. In addition, you will assume primary responsibility for the team’s information management process and systems to ensure timely completion of key documentations and their organization on Foundation’s GSuite information management system.
To thrive in this role, you will have superior attention to details and excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage shifting priorities. The ideal candidate would blend both program operations with a deep understanding of digital security and safety -- but we realize very few people will be excellent at both of these areas. If you’re great at one, and willing to learn the other, we want to hear from you!
You are a people person who enjoys collaborating with multiple internal and external programs and operations teams to coordinate regular communications and combine input to drive project goals. You are a fast learner and enthusiastic about learning innovative approaches to training, implementation and project cycle management. You are solutions oriented and are able to proactively identify potential challenges and propose creative and practical solutions to the core team. Finally, you will maintain a strong sense of professionalism and protect the integrity of the Foundation programs, policies and people at all times.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated basic understanding of international program management and digital safety to be able to further their skills in both areas and grasp knowledge of the holistic method that is being implemented for this integrated security project. They will be digitally-savvy, able to learn, administer and maintain various project tools that are being used for timely and secure communications between all stakeholders in field and in North America. They will also have a strong commitment to the SecDev Foundation’s mission to enhance the digital well-being of communities and at-risk populations around the world, and will be keen to learn more of our work with civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups.
Is this right for you? Here’s what we are looking for:
- Fluently bilingual in English and Arabic (oral, reading and writing).
- Demonstrated some experience in planning, implementing and monitoring programs, preferably in the international development or humanitarian domains.
- Foundational knowledge of digital safety, including basic knowledge of online and mobile security along with understanding of technical support to gain further technical skills and contribute to digital safety audits and remediation processes.
- Familiarity with project administration, finance, and organizational compliance in the non-profit/non-governmental sector; ideally in an international organization where you have developed a clear understanding of the complexities and realities of donor funded programs.
- Proven experience forging and maintaining strong relationships with various internal teams in HQ and external partners, and, willing to be accommodating and flexible in support of remote and international colleagues (yes, sometimes that means a 7AM or 8PM call)
- Strong and proactive problem-solving skills, able to identify challenges and proactively propose potential solutions to improve processes and meet overall project goals.
- Exceptional ability to organize data and manage information, contributing to streamlining project reporting and operational processes.
- Familiarity with MENA culture and operational context.
- Minimum of a Post-Secondary degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
What would make you extraordinary?
- Technical training and/or a strong proficiency in digital security and cybersecurity
- Hands on program experience gained in a field location
- Experience in delivering trainings and facilitation of workshops
What we offer:
A rewarding opportunity with a competitive compensation package, strong emphasis on work-life balance, innovation and technology, ample learning and development opportunities, and the knowledge that you are working to make the world a better place:
- The opportunity to meaningfully contribute to an innovative, future-oriented organization working at the cross-roads of technology, security, development, and the growing influence of cyberspace;
- A competitive salary;
- Comprehensive Group Health Benefits and Insurance;
- Group Retirement Pension Plan benefits
- Work-life balance: summer work hours and generous leave entitlements;
- Learning and professional development opportunities through hands-on experience, peer coaching, as well as a professional development budget;
- International travel opportunities;
- A centrally located office;
- Being part of a culture that is constantly looking for how to improve -- both our excellence in operations and in our programming, meaning the assistance we deliver to people and communities around the world. All staff are encouraged to understand “what we do” and contribute new ideas for how we can improve or expand our assistance globally.
How to Apply
If you are someone who thrives on challenge, loves a varied role, and wants to be part of an innovative and growing organization, then this opportunity is for you. Please submit your cover letter and CV through the “Apply for this Job” button by May 21st, 2021.
About the SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation is a rapidly growing not-for-profit think-do tank based in Ottawa, Canada. We work globally at the cross-roads of security, development and the game-changing influence of cyberspace.
Our mission is to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. We help communities pursue digital opportunity, while understanding how to better control the technologies they so readily use. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on sound policies and savvy digital citizens. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies pursue new forms of resilience in the digital sphere. We prioritize local partnerships to ensure programming is responsive, inclusive and yields lasting capacities.
We have current operational programming in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and Eurasia. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google.