Project Manager, Facilities - Family Service Toronto
Family Service Toronto (FST) helps people face a wide variety of life challenges. For over 100 years, we have worked with individuals and families destabilized by precarious mental health and/or socioeconomic circumstances, to achieve greater resilience and stability in more just and supportive communities. We achieve this through our direct service work of intervention and prevention which includes counselling, peer support and education; knowledge building; and system-level work including social action, advocacy, community-building and working with partners to strengthen the sector.
The Facilities Project Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing multiple projects, site planning, facilities planning, contractor liaison and lease agreements for Family Service Toronto (FST) locations to support our mission of community building and working with partners to strengthen our delivery of social services. Reporting to the Director, Technology, Communications and Facilities, and working closely with the Executive Director, the Facilities Project Manager analyzes problems, identifies alternative solutions, projects consequences of proposed actions and makes recommendations to ensure that projects are completed within budget and timelines.
Please clearly identify how you meet the specific requirements outlined below.
- Monitor and report on all phases of planning and construction for the build-out of the 4th floor project at Church Street.
- Manage and inspect the reconstruction and realignment of existing suites, meeting rooms and other spaces for tenants on the 2nd floor at Church Street.
- Monitor and report on construction of Suite 100 at 128A Sterling Road.
- Manage and inspect the renovation, construction and realignment of the Café space to ensure the first floor becomes an accessible location with a Welcome Desk for FST tenants, clients, staff and visitors.
- Assist development and work with a third party on development of the Café as a Commons community site for staff and the wider public.
- Collaborate with and co-ordinate all parties involved in the planning, design and scheduling of construction at all locations.
- Develop and maintain facility project timelines and budgets.
- Assist the preparation of requests for proposals and project specifications.
- Participate in the selection of vendors and contractors.
- Read blueprints, schematic drawings, and/or construction drawings.
- Participate in defining the terms of contract agreements and ensure work is completed satisfactorily.
- Monitor the performance of construction contracts to ensure compliance with applicable specifications and legislation.
- Monitor project budgets to identify potential financial overruns and variances; make appropriate recommendations to alleviate financial implications.
- Manage all aspects of contracts with tenants, external contractors and vendors.
- Review with FST’s contract architect all plans and specifications for compliance with appropriate building codes and project requirements.
- Prepare contract change orders and monitor their execution.
- Monitor and facilitate resolution of construction contract disputes and claims.
- Anticipate potential risks (timing, budget, etc.) and make sure corrective action is being taken.
- Provide timely communication of project plans to ensure all parties are informed of progress and any changes to key deliverable dates.
- Ensure appropriate response to tenant requests through the implementation and maintenance of effective communications including regularly scheduled meetings.
- Ensure all projects (renovation, construction, and realignment) and the day-to-day operations of the sites, are in compliance with COVID-19 requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, associated regulations and public health directives issued by the Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health including those specific to the Construction sector, and FST’s Physical Distancing and Healthy Practices Guidelines.
- Ensure security and emergency preparedness procedures are implemented properly.
- Communicate and train tenants and FST staff on fire evacuation plans and fire drills.
- Deal with emergencies as they arise.
- Coordinate tenants move-in to the facility and support office relocations.
- Prepare preventive maintenance plans and create reports.
- Review and reconcile project invoices for approval.
- Prepare business documents and reports and written reports as required (incidents, accidents, efficiency etc.).
- Maintain construction documentation files.
- Administer tenants access/ID photo cards.
- Arrange for tenant waste disposal and recycling.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Facility Management, Building Operations, Construction Management, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience (foreign credentials will be considered).
- Minimum 3 to 5 years experience in facility planning and project management.
- Experience with the co-ordination and execution of lease agreements, contracts and projects.
- Experience managing contractors required to deliver services, including procuring, hiring and scheduling.
- Knowledge of laws governing construction contracts, contracting, building codes standards of practice (The Construction Act, OHSA) associated construction specific regulations and public health directives.
- Knowledge of construction management processes and procedures, estimating, budgeting, scheduling practices, design standards, materials and methods.
- Skill in reading and interpreting plans, blueprints, schematic drawings, and construction drawings, and specifications and to compare them with construction progress.
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent negotiation and mediation skills.
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communications.
- Excellent leadership, time management and multitasking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and within a team environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with construction and project management software.
- Must have daily access to a vehicle.
- Satisfactory Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Check within last 12 months.
We are committed to developing a diverse service team that reflects the diversity of the population who live and work in the City of Toronto. We encourage applicants from all equity seeking groups.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and FST’s Equity and Inclusion policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants and will only contact the individuals selected for an interview.
No phone calls please.
Contract: Temporary, full-time; 35 hrs/wk; September 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021
How to Apply: Quote file number FAC #38-20; send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org