Project Lead - AIDS-Free World
AIDS-Free World is an international advocacy organization that focuses on issues and groups that have been pushed to the margins of societies and failed by the international community’s global AIDS response. We challenge the notion that dominant systems and structures can't be changed, even if their current practices are antithetical to their founding principles and standards.
We seek a project expert to join our team and lead the work of the App Project. The Project Lead will carry out all three of this project’s major roles: principal designer, manager, and executor.
About the App Project
AIDS-Free World is in the early phases of its App Project, which involves the development and targeted use of an original audio self-interviewing smartphone app to gather the insights and ideas of so-called “beneficiaries” of humanitarian and development assistance programmes. The App Project grew out of AIDS-Free World’s recognition that, although people with lived experience have unique and critically important views about the problems that directly affect them, their opinions are not considered expert or included in most crisis analyses, programme plans, or project evaluations. The App Project will harness smartphone technology to revolutionize the way expertise is defined, sought, and collected. It will begin with a focus on global initiatives in two areas: ending sexual exploitation and abuse by UN peacekeeping personnel and preventing the spread of HIV among adolescent girls and young women.
Role and Responsibilities
The Project Lead will be responsible for the successful planning and execution of all stages of the App Project and will:
- create a detailed project implementation plan,
- recruit, hire, and supervise a Digital Specialist who will work with external contractors to create the App;
- plan and develop the content, partnerships, training, and logistical plans needed to put the App to use;
- recruit and work with partner organizations to facilitate community participants' use of the App for qualitative self-interviews;
- coordinate the work of colleagues, partners, and external experts who will translate, review, synthesize, and extract key concepts from the self-interviews;
- share findings from the App Project with participating communities and other interested parties; and
- plan for The App’s introduction as an open-source application.
We seek a professional with significant project management and project execution experience and skills to lead the App Project.
Essential requirements include a work history that demonstrates the ability to create and carry out a thorough plan for a multi-year, multi-phase project; monitor and track the progress of this project; and recruit and work with partners in low- and middle-income countries to implement particular phases of the project. The ideal candidate must have experience managing and executing projects that include a technological component. They must be sufficiently conversant in digital technology to be able to direct the app design phase, recruit and oversee the work of a Digital Specialist, and support and guide the technological aspects of the project’s plans and implementation throughout.
The successful candidate will have at least ten years of professional-level international project experience that involved both planning and hands-on execution; demonstrated expertise in issues related to sexual violence; excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; and the social skills that will make them a comfortable addition to a progressive, feminist team.
The work history of the experienced professional we seek will clearly demonstrate the ability to execute complex international projects with precision, thoughtfulness, a collaborative and inclusive rather than prescriptive approach, well-honed listening skills, and respect for people of all cultures and social and economic groups.
The successful candidate will report to the Co-Directors and will be a natural and effective collaborator who can work with and learn from colleagues whose advocacy work does not fit a traditional project management approach. We are looking for a colleague who will share our passion for the App Project as part of the overall work of AIDS-Free World and its Code Blue Campaign.
- A bachelor’s degree, ideally in a relevant field
- Exceptional ability to communicate clearly and professionally in all written and verbal exchanges, including with supervisors, colleagues, and project partners in a distributed work environment
- Strong project-leadership qualities including motivational, relational, and problem-solving talents
- Experience with financial tracking, reporting, and budgeting
- Aptitude for researching, evaluating, and communicating project-related risks
- History of successful recruitment of and collaboration with partners in developing countries
- Successful professional work history with a non-profit or non-governmental organization
- Evidence of a strong commitment to social justice and feminist principles
- A certificate in Project Management
- Demonstrated work in and knowledge about HIV
- Fluency in French
AIDS-Free World was created as a virtual organization. With no physical headquarters, we employ a network of colleagues who live in different countries and work across time zones and continents.
The Project Lead will work remotely from home or a rented desk in a space shared by like-minded organizations. This position is open to candidates who are legally eligible to work in Canada. Working hours will be in the Eastern Time Zone. International and domestic travel will be required.
We offer a generous benefits package and competitive NGO compensation commensurate with experience.
The Project Lead is a new position. Funding for the App Project is currently secure to April 2024; its continuation beyond that date will be contingent on additional funding.
How to apply
Please read the following guidelines carefully. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- The application deadline is 5:00 PM (EDT) on Monday, August 10, 2020.
- Please submit your application online here:
- Please note that you will be required to submit answers to a series of questions as part of the online application process.
- You must submit your cover letter and résumé as separate PDF attachments.
- Please use your cover letter to describe how you fit the profile of the candidate we are seeking. Please detail how your project management skills and experience overlap with and will inform the work of the App Project.
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be asked to participate in an evaluated exercise as part of the selection process. This exercise will simulate one of the ways that the Project Lead will work with the Co-Directors.
As AIDS-Free World Canada is a project on the MakeWay shared platform, the selected candidate will be an employee of MakeWay. MakeWay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.