Program Worker-Volunteer Coordinator - Arbutus Shaughnessy Kerrisdale Friendship Society
Program Worker – Volunteer Coordination
Educational Requirements: Post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in social services or gerontology, or an equivalent mix of post-secondary education and work experience.
- Community First Aid Certificate
- Food Safe Certificate
- Class IV Driver's License an asset
- Group leadership, facilitating large and small group activities working with the senior population and volunteers
- Supervisory experience an asset
- Computer literacy and experience using a computer database, familiarity with Microsoft 365 is an asset.
- Flexibility; calm, caring, positive attitude
- The ability to be creative and make sound decisions
- Bilingual fluency in a second language (Chinese) an asset.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to create and maintain rapport with clients and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and independently
Responsible to: Executive Director
- Conduct a volunteer needs assessment
- Create and implement a plan to build and enhance an effective volunteer program, including the evaluation of the current volunteer program, and reviewing/ revising volunteer policies and procedures
- Revise and develop innovative and effective strategies for volunteer recruitment
- Screen volunteers
- Conduct volunteer training and orientation
- Manage volunteer database
- Create a volunteer calendar, track, and analyse volunteer data, produce monthly reports of volunteer hours
- Facilitate development of volunteer positions that meet volunteer, client and staff needs
- Ensure that volunteers are sufficiently supervised.
- Attend to all volunteer inquires and concerns
- responsible for development and implementation of Therapeutic Programs
- ability to lead virtual therapeutic programs
- responsible for leading exercises on designated days in person or virtual
- encourages participants to become involved in programs both at the Centre and at home
- Examples of programs; BINGO, music programs, outings, arts and crafts, discussion groups, one on one conversations, games and more.
- meets with potential volunteers to explain the ASK program
- responsible for designated verbal or written thank you notes
- responsible for designated speaking engagements regarding volunteers
- Liaison with outreach committee regarding new potential outreach committee members
- completes driving duties as assigned
- Staff replacement for Transportation Coordinator, when necessary
- provides driver’s assistance as scheduled and/or as deemed necessary
- provides assistance and ensures client safety on outings
Client Care & Charting
- responsible for duties related to client care including toileting, transferring, and assisting with self-care
- maintains ongoing relationship with assigned clients
- maintains up-to-date records on assigned clients
- charts client progress for assigned clients
- responsible for client identification while at centre
Other Related Duties
- responsible for covering the duties of other staff members in their absence.
- responsible for kitchen duties in absence of cook
- responsible for lock-up on designated days
- assists in daily furniture set up and clear away
- other daily duties involve directing the serving of lunch and socializing with participants
- responsible for checking and responding to volunteer email
- responsible for volunteer surveys and volunteer document for annual program review
- any other assigned duties
Follow all Covid-19 Protocols set out in the ASK Friendship Society’s Safety Plan.
Please note we also have a Program Worker position available with a focus on virtual services.